You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

48 minutes ago, Shotster said:

Relative to what? I would assume relative to the Affinity document, but I've had no success outputting to a specified path - either relative or absolute. AD just keeps presenting a dialog when an export is initiated. :| I'm on macOS.

If it works the same on Mac as on Windows, and assuming I remember the experiments correctly that I ran in the past, relative to the directory you specify in that dialog.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

32 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

If it works the same on Mac as on Windows, and assuming I remember the experiments correctly that I ran in the past, relative to the directory you specify in that dialog

Thanks, @walt.farrell, I did see your earlier posts, and they were helpful. The reason it wasn't working for me was this.

• 11 months later...

I'm with @Phil_rose here. I'm on a Mac, and this feature simply doesn't work as described in this thread or as I would expect. Why, after entering an export path into that field, does the program still prompt me where to save the file? I could even live with that if it defaulted to the directory I specified, but it doesn't!

Can anyone clearly and concisely explain how to use this feature to get files to be output at the location entered into the Path field? I've tried relative paths and absolute paths, and all the program does is prompt me where I want to save the exported file! :56_anguished:

1 minute ago, Shotster said:

I'm with @Phil_rose here. I'm on a Mac, and this feature simply doesn't work as described in this thread or as I would expect. Why, after entering an export path into that field, does the program still prompt me where to save the file? I could even live with that if it defaulted to the directory I specified, but it doesn't!

Can anyone clearly and concisely explain how to use this feature to get files to be output at the location entered into the Path field? I've tried relative paths and absolute paths, and all the program does is prompt me where I want to save the exported file! :56_anguished:

Ha! That shows you how intuitive this interface is. I didn't realize I had previously posted and resolved this issue months ago...

Good grief, can we please improve the UX on this! 😐

On 2/16/2018 at 5:16 PM, v_kyr said:

Guys you have to learn to use a console too [...] if you only use GUIs, you'll eventually become dumbfounded one day.

No offense, but this is complete nonsense! The whole point of a GUI is to empower folks who have neither the time nor desire to poke at their keyboards and remember arcane commands. You can even do programming and build entire apps these days without mucking around in a terminal window. And things are only going to improve from there. 🙂

4 hours ago, Shotster said:

No offense, but this is complete nonsense!

And things are only going to improve from there.

"Hey Siri, write a response to that statement and clarify how things really work behind the scenes."!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

I got the impression, that this path interface is a primitive function which only splits the string by slashes and is thus only capable of creating subdirectories of the directory the designer file is located. The is no going up in the path, there are no absolute pathes. In Windows, an absolute path begins with a backslash, normally preceded by the drive letter and the colon. All this won't work here. It doesn't even keep the colon after input.

The export persona will create real directories. If you want to use symlinks, you'll have to create them for every design or photo file. This will get confusing over time and a nightmare if you want to exchange file or use a different computer. That's not a good workflow for guys like Phil who deal with thousands of images.

I'd recommend to learn a little bit of Python. It's easy to fetch the export from the subfolders and send them to the places where they should be.