You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello Affiniciados:

A total newbie with Affinity Photo, Windows version 1.6.2.97, with many questions.

I notice in Andy's list of supported RAW cameras 1.6.x the Nikon D7500 is not listed. Does that mean that if I have questions related to that camera, I am out of luck? Or is it soon to be added to the list?

Questionably,

Peter

Hello MEB:

Thank you for your quick reply. That is reassuring (I guess).  :/

Now another, probably dumb, question: what does "supported" mean? I have a question about some photos taken by the D7500. If this camera is not yet "supported"  would it be difficult, or even impossible,  for someone to answer it?   I will offer the question anyway, to see what happens.

I took a series of photos with the D7500, then loaded them into two different programs to look at the histograms. One program was Affinity and the other is a "View photos"-type program from Nikon (View-Xn-i). I am attaching snapshots of the histogram from each program. They are quite different, and I am wondering why. Which histogram would be the more accurate one?

I do not have Lightroom (heresy!) or any other program with which I could  compare the histograms, so I am not sure what to make of the different results.

Peter

Histo-ViewXni_001.png.f8228b372264950d021c45b98b1b9764.png

Histo-Affinityi_001.png

...what does "supported" mean?

Support means here, until the underlayed used third party libraries which are used by APh to develop the RAW data of cameras and and also the lens corrections data libraries are updated accordingly and incorporated into the next Affinity Photo update version. Note that the Affinity software relies here on third party libraries and which aren't maintain by Affinity themselves in terms of adding new cameras model RAW data etc.

I took a series of photos with the D7500, then loaded them into two different programs to look at the histograms. One program was Affinity and the other is a "View photos"-type program from Nikon (View-Xn-i). I am attaching snapshots of the histogram from each program. They are quite different, and I am wondering why. Which histogram would be the more accurate one?

Nikon's own software always shows the most accurate histograms here, ViewNX-I and Capture NX-D know also to interpret a bunch of custom Nikon settings, which other software doesn't have any clues about and doesn't take into account at all. When for example you use D-Lighting settings and setup Picture Control settings in your D7500 other third party RAW converters don't make any use of these settings.

For testing the accuracy of the histrograms you can also try and compare with some freeware RAW converters like Rawtherapee and Darktable etc.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Hello v-kyr:

Thank you very much for the reply. I appreciate the help and clarifications. I am a bit (well, very )  fuzzy about the technical side of photography (until recently I just did point-and-shoot), but am enjoying exploring all the aspects of Manual settings. So I will probably be back here fairly often, asking the really newbie questions. The kind of help you have just posted here is very valuable, and I am grateful for that assistance .

I will certainly look at the two programs you have suggested.

Peter

There are a bunch of RAW converters available on the market, though honestly only few of them are giving very good and outstanding results for Nikon NEF files without much effort and tweaking here. Nikon's own RAW converters quality (Capture NX2, and it's successor Capture NX-D) are here what others need to be measured against and only few other RAW converter software can give similar good output quality.

Among those which are quite good and useful too are mostly commercial ones like CaptureOne, DxO and Lightroom. - Apple Aperture was also quite good here, but sadly has been given up by Apple in favor of that smartphone era Photos replacement. From the freeware RAW converters some are also quite good and useable, Rawtherapee is one of them.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2