You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Copying properties from another object

Hi Guys,

I've found about AD couple days ago and I am very impressed with my current experience. However I miss some key features that are keeping me from using it in a real world. One of them is the hability to copy property from another object... Let's say I have a shape with a gradient, and a specific border color and weight and I want to replicate its characteristic to another shape. Or maybe copy a font type from another text. I could not find a eyedrop like we on Illustrator or CorelDraw or I just missed it?

Anyways, as a graphic designer for almost 20 years now... this is the most promissing software I have seen in a long time... I really hope Serif keep the good working and make an App as good as the giant Adobe and Corel.

Reminous

Hi everybody,

just copy the object (Cmd-C) and then choose Edit > Paste Style (Shift-Cmd-V). Another option: Right click on the object, select Create sytle … from the context menu and choose the created style from the style panel (perfect for multiple uses). Simple as that.

Works with object properties, but not with text properties at the moment. But hopefully this will come in the future ...

Cheers,

Alex  :)

Hi everybody,

just copy the object (Cmd-C) and then choose Edit > Paste Style (Shift-Cmd-V). Another option: Right click on the object, select Create sytle … from the context menu and choose the created style from the style panel (perfect for multiple uses). Simple as that.

Works with object properties, but not with text properties at the moment. But hopefully this will come in the future ...

Cheers,

Alex  :)

Cool, it works. Just haven't got used to it

• 2 years later...

Hi

Edit > Paste Style works when one needs to copy all the properties from another object.

However, If one needs to copy a specific property, say for eg. one or more specific properties (fill color, border line style, and/or line thickness, but not the border color), this does not work. I do know that we have a color picker in AD. But it picks the screen color (that is combination of all the colors below the picker) whereas a user might want to pick up a specific color or a non-color property such as border color, thickness or style from another object.

That would be a great time saver, especially when applied for multiple objects.

for eg.

1. Select source object

2. Choose Edit > Copy

3. Select one or more target objects

4. Choose Edit > Paste Specific Style from Menu or Icon.

5. A UI control displays all properties

6. All properties are selected by default

7. Optionally, Unselect properties that are not needed

8. Click on the Apply button

9. Multiple target objects acquire the selected properties from the source object

Happy User :)

On 17/02/2015 at 9:48 AM, Markus Dierolf said:

Didn't knew that I can past a style only. I created always a style, but paste works great for me. Thanks!

Text (or text as object) styles would be very nice :)

You can apply styles to Artistic Text.

5a87ee42c6b7c_ScreenShot2018-02-17at08_54_17.png.1b2aaccc8837256aebcf3452c0bdf8c2.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• 2 years later...

I insist the implementation of an eyedropper tool that functions like that of Illustrator's as it's more intuitive.

Copying an object with "CTRL + C" and pasting the object/.text's attribute to another with command "CTRL + V" will overwrite the contents of your clipboard.

Desktop: Affinity Publisher 1.8.5, Windows 10 Professional, version 2004 (19041.450), 16GB memory, AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.60GHz, RX 570
Laptop: Affinity Publisher 1.8.2, Windows 10 Home, version 2004 (19041.450), 8GB memory, Intel Core i5-4200M @ 2.50GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4600

@Elise Kleve 

if you are with Windows 10, you can activate the Windows clipboard which keeps all the "Ctrl + C" and allows you to use them at will.
To activate it, right click on "Start menu", "Settings", "System", "Clipboard" and drag the cursor on "Enabled".
To paste one of the saved objects, hold down the "Windows" key and press the "V" key, choose the item to paste.
All the items will be lost after the computer is shut down except for the ones you marked "Pin" which will be kept indefinitely.

2 hours ago, G13RL said:

To paste one of the saved objects, hold down the "Windows" key and press the "V" key, choose the item to paste.

thumbsup.png Thank you for this information and it's handy in some cases but this workaround would significantly slow me down.

I type my content on a separate app for grammar and spell checking before pasting it to publisher and I want an Illustrator-like eyedropper tool to reduce the number of steps to accomplish this task.

Desktop: Affinity Publisher 1.8.5, Windows 10 Professional, version 2004 (19041.450), 16GB memory, AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.60GHz, RX 570
Laptop: Affinity Publisher 1.8.2, Windows 10 Home, version 2004 (19041.450), 8GB memory, Intel Core i5-4200M @ 2.50GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4600

• 4 months later...
8 hours ago, artistram3d1 said:

I would like to know if this issue regarding a similar tool to Adobe Illustrator's eyedropper tool is being addressed.

In the recent update (1.8.4), not yet.

8 hours ago, artistram3d1 said:

I find that the workaround is quite time consuming.

I agree. I work on brand guidelines a lot and without an eyedropper tool for copying text and object style is a drag. Time is money and this tool should be implemented before version 2.