You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I found this Photoshop tutorial that uses the pen tool to create a path in order to facilitate power line removal:

Remove Power Lines From Photos

Simply follow these steps: Using the Pen tool, create a path that follows the powerline you want to remove.

Then select the Spot Healing Brush tool and click on the Content-Aware option in the Options Bar.

Change the brush size to about twice the width of the wire and in the Paths panel (Window > Paths), go to the fly-out menu (four-line icon on the top right) and choose “Stroke Path” and select the Spot Healing Brush from the drop down.

This will stroke the path and remove the power lines!

Watch the video tutorial here:

https://photoshoptrainingchannel.com/remove-power-lines/

Is this doable in Affinity?

• Staff

Hi Big_Stan,

I've not checked the video (but i believe it's perfectly doable in Affinity Photo) however why not simply using the Inpainting Brush Tool for this? It usually works quite well. Just use a brush size a little bit larger than the power line and paint over it, unless you are trying to experiment with other techniques. In that case just ignore this post.

[EDIT] Leigh was quicker...

13 minutes ago, Big_Stan said:

It looks like a good technique to remove the power line from complex background, such as trees.

I'm not in a position to view any videos so please excuse me if this is covered, but the only time the inpainting brush hasn't worked for me was trying to remove power lines from a clear blue sky!

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

5 minutes ago, IanSG said:

I'm not in a position to view any videos so please excuse me if this is covered, but the only time the inpainting brush hasn't worked for me was trying to remove power lines from a clear blue sky!

This was the original from the OPs example.

original.jpg

No blue clear sky, fortunately ;)

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

I should have said that I am trying to remove the power line from a complex background.  

I have a shot where the power line goes in from of a large oak tree with bare branches.  I tried the inpainting approach and it left residual marks where the wires were in from to the tree.

I tried to upload the image (13.8mb, JPEG) that I am working on, but I keep getting the error message: "Upload failed, There was a problem processing the uploaded file. -200"

11 minutes ago, Big_Stan said:

I tried the inpainting approach and it left residual marks where the wires were in from to the tree.

Often, this can be avoided by using a small radius inpainting brush just slightly larger than what you want to remove & 'painting' over small sections of it at a time.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I just used the Clone brush (small head) and kept selecting a suitable bit to patch with.

I don't know if you will be able to see this, but the screen grab shows the source (yellowed) and the brush head showing the intended target.

clone.jpg.37faa92237e9504de0a6a96d0ac98ff1.jpg

It is a matter of patching, bit by bit and Alt + clicking to keep choosing suitable source points.

Just now, Big_Stan said:

IMPRESSIVE!!!

You publish a tutorial, I'd buy it.

What opacity, flow, and hardness did you use with your clone stamp?

settings.jpg.c5dcfeb28b7cef71464e8a1d83269b2c.jpg

It depends on each job though, but that is my usual quick fix setting.