You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer....IOS app icons preview size

I think I have this sorted....I just wanted a sanity check

To view a pixel-pixel check of a IOS icon for an iphone 6 for instance...the icon should be 120x120 viewed over a 750 x 1334 background....does that sound right?

Also is there a way to non-destructively rasterize to this size in document for preview? Or is it a matter of just export import every time?

Thanks

• Staff
14 hours ago, mdharrington said:

To view a pixel-pixel check of a IOS icon for an iphone 6 for instance...the icon should be 120x120 viewed over a 750 x 1334 background....does that sound right?

That makes sense to me, as the background for the iPhone 6 is 750 x 1334 and the size of an icon should be 120x120.  But i've not done any app development so am only going from what i've read online.

As for a non-destructive way to rasterise and to that size, you could look into the Export Persona, which allows you to export out icons and several different sizes as shown in this video

Thanks for the reply....

I was more thinking of an in-document rasterization....for instance have a live vector icon, but embedded and rasterized to 12x120 so as when zoomed in 100% I could judge the details at that pixel size, rather than have the infinite resolution of the vectors. Then make live adjustments to the vector shape to suit.

Not really sure if that is possible...but there is a lot about Designer I don't know.

Right now I am exporting through slices and re-importing to another document.

So, are you designing your elements in a higher resolution? I ask ebcause the templates provided by Apple in PSD Format come in the final size. You can download the AFDESIGN version I made of some of those templates.

You coul also make use of this other file.

Now, when you have your icon in the real size, it's a matter of using the Pixel view mode.

Best regards!

thanks for those resources....appreciate the effort

I didnt take resolution into account at all during the initial design...and on export noticed how much detail was lost...so i redesigned accordingly.

I am shooting for good quality at the 2x resolution (120x120) as 1x seems only on iphone 3 and lower and 2 gen ipad and lower....