You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi, I've studied the forum, I've followed suggestions about holding down option key on a Mac when launching AP and hitting clear. I've followed the edit/restore to default (greyed out). I've uninstalled AP and reinstalled BUT I can't get AP to restore to factory default? Please let me know what I'm doing wrong? Many thanks for help and patience :)

• Staff

Hi BarryP,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Launch the app with (ctrl) held down until a Clear User Data dialog appears. Press the Select All button then press the Clear button. Note this will reset everything to app defaults - user preferences, palettes, macros, everything. If you want to reset just the UI and user prefs leave just the first three checkboxes ticked and press the Clear button.

Thanks for your prompt reply. I've done all that but when I launch AP I'm presented by the White workplace which I know isn't default i.e. black background is. What am I missing? Thx

Screen Shot 2018-02-14 at 17.00.18.png

Edited by BarryP
attached screen shot on opening

Yes following the steps and it doesn't reset to dark background which concerns me as I messed around a lot (i.e. in the performance section) before I purchased the AP book and am wondering what else isn't reseting. So I want to a total reset before diving into the book? 

I'm on Mac OS

• Staff

I see now that you have added a screenshot to your previous post. This is a different thing. I thought you were talking about the whole interface.

Go to Affinity Photo ▸ Preferences, User Interface section and move the Background Grey Level slider to the left. The default is the first tick on the left side.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 2/15/2018 at 12:51 AM, MEB said:

Launch the app with ⌃(ctrl) held down until a Clear User Data dialog appears.

Would you please clarify? I want to reset Affinity Publisher since Spell-check is not working and gradient editor is not working properly.

Desktop: Affinity Publisher 1.8.5, Windows 10 Professional, version 2004 (19041.450), 16GB memory, AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.60GHz, RX 570
Laptop: Affinity Publisher 1.8.2, Windows 10 Home, version 2004 (19041.450), 8GB memory, Intel Core i5-4200M @ 2.50GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4600

13 hours ago, Elise Kleve said:

Would you please clarify? I want to reset Affinity Publisher since Spell-check is not working and gradient editor is not working properly.

Launch means Start. There should be a key called Control on the keyboard. Hold down that key then start the application.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 2 years later...
  • Staff

Hi @Tracyirisheyes,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
To reset the app to its default settings, press and hold CTRL while launching the app until a Clear User Data dialog appears on screen. Leaving the first three checkboxes ticked and pressing the Clear button should fix most common issues. If you prefer you can tick all the checkboxes (in the first group on top) - these will clear up a couple more things (keyboard shortcuts, file export presets, snapping options presets etc) but still leave any additions you may have added to the app(s) intact like custom brushes, object styles, test styles, assets etc (that are shared across them).

Ticking ALL checkboxes (both top and bottom group) will reset everything in Designer and in the other apps of the suite too (Publisher, Photo), including shared assets, customs brushes, object styles, macros - anything you have added to the apps - to the factory defaults. It's a full reset. If you don't export them before the reset (in case you watt to keep them to install later) you will lose them.

Before going to such extend, can you tell us wha's not working for you exactly - what setting(s) - are failing? There may be an easy way to fix them without reset anything.