You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Set Affinity Photo as default app to open Canon RAW

On MacOS, I want Affinity Photo to be the default application to open file type .CR2 (Canon Raw). Right now, the default application is Gimp. The usual procedure for changing the default is to right click a file of the desired type, select Open with... / Other, pick the application you want (Affinity Photo) out of the list, and check the Always Open With checkbox. When I do this, I get an error dialog.

"IMG_8059.CR2" can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer. ... Affinity Photo created this file today at 10:03 AM."

This doesn't make sense. The image file is not an application from a developer, and Affinity Photo didn't create the file today, my camera created it some time ago.

After this failure, the default application for opening Canon Raw files remains Gimp.

Is this a bug? Is it a bug in Affinity photo? Is there a workaround that anyone knows of?

MacOS High Sierra Version 10.13.3

Mid 2011 iMac

Affinity Photo 1.6.6

Screen Shot 2018-02-14 at 10.16.57 AM.jpeg

Screen Shot 2018-02-14 at 10.18.31 AM.jpeg

Okay, I did this, and it got rid of the "unidentified developer" popup, and now the file opens one time in Affinity Photo, however, the default application for .CR2 remains Gimp. 

I want to mention that I have always been able to open .CR2 files using Open With -> Affinity Photo.app , and that has always worked as expected with no popup.

21 minutes ago, DWright said:

Hi LinkLayer,

If you open System Preferences and under the Security & Privacy you will see the notification of the blocked .CR2 file just click on the Open Anyway and now when the file is opened it will open in Affinity Photo