You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Greetings!

I found a beautiful set of playing cards in SVG format @ http://svg-cards.sourceforge.net/ that I want to work with. However, when I try to bring it into either Designer or Photo, the results are, let's say, a bit less than desirable. Here is a screenshot of how it looks in Designer:

5a84079fb6325_Capto_Capture2018-02-14_04-46-21_AM.thumb.jpg.3ad76a19d3b6f8aa5d08a3164abd116d.jpg

As you can see, the layers are there, but the layout is completely unworkable. What am I doing wrong here? How can I bring them in so I can edit them? If we can bring them into Designer, is there an easy way to export them out as separate image files, one for each card?

2 hours ago, Michael Sheaver said:

As you can see, the layers are there, but the layout is completely unworkable. What am I doing wrong here? How can I bring them in so I can edit them? If we can bring them into Designer, is there an easy way to export them out as separate image files, one for each card?

Well the needed components for the cards are already there as layers, though pretty much messed up in coordinate placements and sizes. - What you can do is create your own cards out of these, make a rounded rectangle of let's say 59 x 91 mm for a card as your card background and copy over the needed layer objects for each card, size, arrange and group the objects accordingly...

two_cards.jpg.31a7d63afa73639a2a149656dd65332b.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

There is something weird in that SVG file, because if I open it in Inkscape everything looks good, but when I try to convert the text into a curve, it remains as text (Bitstream Vera Serif). Also, I can't change the font...

Best regards!

Just to see if it made a difference, I opened this file in my fave text editor (Atom), determined that the only font used is Bitstream Vera Serif, and downloaded and installed that font family on my system. Alas, when I open it in Designer, I get the same result.

Given that this was created way back in 2005, my gut tells me that there may be some non-standard entries in there, and as a result causing Designer to say "Huh?" I don't know enough about the mechanics of the SVG standard to be able to find the offending bits, though. If I do figure it out, though, I promise to let everyone know!

That hasn't much todo with the used font, instead how the AD parser overall reads and interprets the SVG commands here. - If you open that SVG file in a web browser (for example Firefox) you can see that it's SVG parser handles the SVG code much better and more correctly here.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

Went to the sourceforge site and got this

Project web is currently offline pending the final migration of its data to our new datacenter.

Waaaah! O.o

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Went to the sourceforge site and got this

Project web is currently offline pending the final migration of its data to our new datacenter.

Waaaah! O.o

What about opening it in Inkscape or some such and sidewardly < "yes its a word, its in the firstdefence book of Englishio" and Save As... maybe the code will be better formatted?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

31 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

After some tweaking, playing with boundingbox settings, coordinates and so on.

Wonderful work! :5_smiley:

I am curious though, to learn what you had to do with this. I did notice that in the original, imported version, the bounding boxes were way, way off.

Inquiring minds want to know! 

Either you adjust the viewbox to start at 0 0 the same width and height ...

<svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" version="1.1" height="1216.19" width="2178.18" viewBox="0 0 2178.99 1216.19">

... or you remove the viewbox completely  ...

<svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" version="1.1" height="1216.19" width="2178.18">

... then you have to adjust first of all the top layer orientation down slightly, so it starts at x=0, y=0 instead of negative off values. - Now most objects like the spades, hearts, clubs, diamonds, jacks, queens and kings are positioned Ok on the cards, with the exception of all defined text coordinate placements, which are still off at their x,y placement. So these text related objects need to be adjusted for their starting positioning x and y coordinates since they are off positioned. The width and height of those text objects is Ok and can be leaved as is.

22 hours ago, v_kyr said:

In AD you can edit, change and convert the text of those.

I know, but if you open the file in Inkscape, you have the correct appearance, even if you don't have installed that font (Bitstream Vera Serif). I wanted to convert all into shapes and then copy to Designer.

Best regards!

31 minutes ago, Mithferion said:

I know, but if you open the file in Inkscape, you have the correct appearance, even if you don't have installed that font (Bitstream Vera Serif). I wanted to convert all into shapes and then copy to Designer.

Since Inkscape uses SVG as it's embedded working format, I would expect it can also deal with SVG text here quite flexible.