You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello all, can people test something for me or tell me if I'm just doing it wrong. I have a document in designer and I take it into pixel mode. I then use the marquee tool to draw a box selection. I then go to the flood fill tool and click inside the selection. Nothing happens. I end up having to go into Photo in order to make it work. Can anyone help?

Thanks very much,

Phil

I like turtles!

Windows 11

Sony A7iii

Sony A7riii

Sony A7Rii

Sony RX10 Mkiii

Canon G5x

Mavic Mini drone

A partridge

A pear tree (occupied)

www.philrosephoto.com

Hello Phil_rose,

You must add a new pixel layer after you have made the selection to fill it,

or

add a new pixel layer on which you will make your selection.

With kind regards

Oh yes. That makes sense. That's a shame. I was hoping that I could fill a vector shape in pixel mode as a workaround for the lack of a smart fill tool in Affinity. Ah well. I guess will just have to hope that they add this down the road.

I like turtles!

Windows 11

Sony A7iii

Sony A7riii

Sony A7Rii

Sony RX10 Mkiii

Canon G5x

Mavic Mini drone

A partridge

A pear tree (occupied)

www.philrosephoto.com

Why do you have to flood-fill a vector shape, instead of simply selecting the shape and applying the fill that you want? :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

If I have lines that are not joined (like this) I cannot fill this center area as it is not a closed shape. CorelDRAW has a Smart Fill tool that will fill that like Photoshop or Photo does with the fill tool but creating a vector object. That is what I want to be able to do and doing it even as a raster object in the pixel persona would be an acceptable second choice but it can't be done, seemingly.

PhilRose  0116.jpg

I like turtles!

Windows 11

Sony A7iii

Sony A7riii

Sony A7Rii

Sony RX10 Mkiii

Canon G5x

Mavic Mini drone

A partridge

A pear tree (occupied)

www.philrosephoto.com

In the Pixel Persona

1. Select all 4 lines in the Layers panel
2. Use the selection brush to select the area you want to fill (switch Snap to edges on)
3. Add a Pixel Layer and flood fill it with your colour

fill1.jpg

fill2.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Hi there. Thanks for that but for me it doesn't work. Let me run through exactly what I do and you can tell me if I'm not doing it right. In draw persona I draw four lines that intersect like yours do. I then switch to pixel persona. I then select all four objects in the layers panel. I then hit W to go to the selection brush and try clicking or clicking and dragging within the area. Nothing happens. No selection is made. Looks like you are perhaps using a Mac. Maybe it works differently on that machine? Is there anyone on a Windows machine who is able to make this work?

ScreenHunter 102.png

I like turtles!

Windows 11

Sony A7iii

Sony A7riii

Sony A7Rii

Sony RX10 Mkiii

Canon G5x

Mavic Mini drone

A partridge

A pear tree (occupied)

www.philrosephoto.com

12 minutes ago, Phil_rose said:

Looks like you are perhaps using a Mac.

No, Carl is using Windows. On a Mac there would be 'traffic lights' in the top left-hand corner, but his screenshot shows the same Minimize/Restore/Close trio that you and I have. The only difference is that he's using the light UI option (as I am, for what it's worth).

Alfred spacer.png

3 minutes ago, Alfred said:

No, Carl is using Windows. On a Mac there would be 'traffic lights' in the top left-hand corner, but his screenshot shows the same Minimize/Restore/Close trio that you and I have. The only difference is that he's using the light UI option (as I am, for what it's worth).

Smarty pants! How does he have two rows of tools at left and the swatches beneath??? I want that and can't find out how to do it! Also, can you make his instructions work? Thanks!

I like turtles!

Windows 11

Sony A7iii

Sony A7riii

Sony A7Rii

Sony RX10 Mkiii

Canon G5x

Mavic Mini drone

A partridge

A pear tree (occupied)

www.philrosephoto.com

@Phil_rose

You have the selection brush set to Subtract switch it to Add

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

6 minutes ago, Phil_rose said:

How does he have two rows of tools at left and the swatches beneath???

Choose 'Customize Tools...' from the View menu, and set 'Number of Columns' to 2.

6 minutes ago, Phil_rose said:

Also, can you make his instructions work?

Yes, I can (see below) although it isn't perfect. With four sloping lines, the edges of the selection are all slightly stepped.

5 minutes ago, carl123 said:

You have the selection brush set to Subtract switch it to Add

I was just about to say that (albeit without using punctuation quite so sparingly, despite the ongoing Brexit negotiations)!

Alfred spacer.png

3 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Choose 'Customize Tools...' from the View menu, and set 'Number of Columns' to 2.

Yes, I can (see below) although it isn't perfect. With four sloping lines, the edges of the selection are all slightly stepped.

I was just about to say that!

Brilliant. Now I feel foolish. Thanks to you both. Maybe I can do this, expand the size of the resultant area then place it behind the outline to hide those steps?

I like turtles!

Windows 11

Sony A7iii

Sony A7riii

Sony A7Rii

Sony RX10 Mkiii

Canon G5x

Mavic Mini drone

A partridge

A pear tree (occupied)

www.philrosephoto.com

1 minute ago, Phil_rose said:

Brilliant. Now I feel foolish.

Sorry about that, Phil! That certainly wasn't my intent, but I obviously can't speak for Carl. :P

Alfred spacer.png

• 2 years later...

Check the Layers panel to see if the picture has the word (Image) next to it.

If so, you need to right-click that layer and select Rasterise for the Flood Tool to then work as you expect it to.