You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Marquee move selected section

In PS I would select marquee tool over section of an image, and with the movement tool I could move that part of the image within the marquee dotted shape wherever I wanted to in the layer. I am having difficulty doing the same in AP, I have tried several options to make it work but without success, it must be able to be done. Please advise.

Screen Shot 2018-02-13 at 17.14.34.png

• Staff

Hi Freddie360,

In Affinity if you select one of the selection tools and drag the selection it will move the selection only. If you use the Move Tool instead it will move the selection and its content (assuming you have a pixel layer selected). If you are not able to move the content of the selection with the Move Tool please check if you have the correct pixel layer selected in the Layers panel.

The first attachment shows what happens when I use the marquee and then select the Move tool, it just moves the whole image. So, I made a new file image with single layer and it works fine (see 2nd attachment), I can only assume the first (multi-layered ) file is corrupt.

Screen Shot 2018-02-13 at 17.46.58.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-13 at 17.45.54.png

• Staff

It's not corrupt. It's because in the first case you have an Image layer type selected (look at the label between parenthesis after the layer's name in the Layers panel). Image layers are a special layer type that retains all the original image data - you can think of them as embedded images -. They are created when you use the Place Image Tool, the File ▸ Place command or when you simply drag them from the Finder (Mac) or File Explorer (Windows) to the canvas of an opened document. They can be transformed globally (rotated, skewed etc) without losing quality but they cannot be edited/manipulated at a pixel level. For that they must be converted to Pixel layers first. To do it right-click the Image layer in the Layers panel and select Rasterise. You can then move  the contents of the selection as you'd expect.

MEB - thanks again for your reply to this question and others I have asked in the past, it is much appreciated to have quick solutions to my ongoing  transition from PS to AP. There is one more question I would ask concerning changing the brush, eraser etc sizes. I am so used in PS to right click the mouse to quickly change sizes, is going to the top tool bar the only way to do this in AP - see attachment. 

Screen Shot 2018-02-13 at 19.07.52.png

On the PC, I think it's left-mouse + right-mouse + Alt, then slide mouse. Doesn't work on laptop where mouse buttons are one-or-other rocker.

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

• 1 year later...

Thanks for this explanation.  I don’t know how to rasterize on iPad although I did manage to select a portion of a photo and create a layer for a composite.

At first I had a problem creating a layer from selection on iPad although I saw it done on tutorials.  I wasn’t following the arrows and missed some of the options  from the Refine Selection — I saw two choices when there are four or five available.

this note is mainly to thank you for the upgraded gestures.  Much simpler, and much appreciated