Sign in to follow this  
jullit31

[Fixed] AD 1.6.1.93 Text resizing and snapping

When resizing text, for some text frames, the resize handle snaps to something, like so:

slice1.png.c30e63dd24b175c491e309e515f67de1.png

For other text frames, it snaps to something, a guide in this case, but actually isn't on the guide.

slice2.png.ee4eb27d0d1c60b00f0a18c4c8b8a4a8.png

Both cases are not what I would expect, which is the text frame snapping to i.e. the guide.

Also the help description in the status bar doesn't match the actual behaviour: It says "Shift to preserve aspect ratio." when it should say "Shift to ignore aspect ratio."

text_resize.afdesign

Hi jullit31,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Do you have snapping enabled and Snap to guides ticked in the Snapping Manager (menu View ▸ Snapping Manager...)?

Regarding the text not filling the space between the guides, double click the middle bounding box handle to fit the bounding box to the text, then, use the bottom right handle (the one detached from the text bounding box) to scale the text  to the guide instead of reflowing it (which is what happens when you use the bottom right handle attached to the bounding box). 

The Shift behaviour depends on the setting you have set in Affinity Preferences, Tools section, Move Tool Aspect Constrain dropdown. By default it's set to Automatic which preserves the ratio for objects with an intrinsic/natural aspect ratio - like text and images which you usually don't want to distort. You can pick one of the other options there as you see fit.

Of course; when I disable Snap to guides nothing snaps to the guides, as one would expect.

I just used guides as an example, but this behaviour occures when snapping to other things as well:

slice3.png.d8164356b2d13a4f32aee56b36ce5c11.png

Here it snapps to the upper text frame (kind of...).

This should be fixed in 1.7.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB