You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

The filename extensions JPE, JPEG and JPG all represent the same file format. If you find that your filenames end up with a double extension when you try to rename them during the export procedure, you can simply rename them within Finder or Windows (File) Explorer, as appropriate.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Did this post just happen or am I having a weird dream :8_laughing:

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

59 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Yes. :P

5a82da364a815_ScreenShot2018-02-13at12_14_34.png.2302536d8c5114800199788880c56677.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• 1 month later...

Hi, I may have reported this earlier, but I want to export as .jpeg, not .jpg.  However, when I type .jpeg I get this:

post-39750-0-95850600-1481740167_thumb.jpg5abbeccbe8f31_A2018-03-28at21_18_24.jpeg.9095e9009a6e79c6c7bb059f0d3807b7.jpeg

Why is it "forbidden" ?  The "e" in jpeg stands for "expert", and the earlier Windows extensions being limited to three characters, the experts were left out…  I want them back. (the answer "rename the file in the Finder" is not acceptable).

:(

Robert

(Affinity Designer—Affinity Photo—LiveCode—Mac OS X various)

The original was .jpeg but older Windows machines could only handle three letter file extensions, so they became .jpg. Macintosh machines could use more than three letters so saved as .jpeg. Which is why there was so many different names.

In order to avoid (?) confusion the common practice now is to save as .jpg on both Mac and PC. If you want the "e" back get in touch with Adobe, Macintosh and Microsoft and ask if they will change it for you ;)

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

1 minute ago, toltec said:

The original was .jpeg but older Windows machines could only handle three letter file extensions, so they became .jpg.

I'm sure I've seen JPEG files with the extension .jpe instead.

Alfred spacer.png

49 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I'm sure I've seen JPEG files with the extension .jpe instead.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JPEG#JPEG_filename_extensions

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, toltec said:

he wasn't convinced

I presume you mean he didn’t ‘belieeeve’ it! ;)

Alfred spacer.png