You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

gradients import from PS

As far as I'm aware there is no way to import a (.grd) file, there maybe workarounds or someone more knowledgeable might know but just looking now I can find no way to do this easily like you would with a brush.

I think being able to import (.grd) files should be an essential addition to all affinity apps and I hope the team add this important feature into its products sooner rather than later.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I think most of these "app specific formats" should be like Java, Cross app compatible, so basically a text file that gets interpreted regardless of the app but instead we get a plethora of app specific formats, all it does is slowdown workflows and annoy people.

I mean, a gradient is a gradient, whether its created in one app or another doesn't matter, what matters is that people can use the creativity that gradients assist in to make works of art and be able to work with a smooth workflow, so why make it even more difficult by making a format that can only be used in one app. After all, it's a means to a creative end so why stifle that by creating yet another gradient format. 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

25 minutes ago, igmutanka said:

You should fix it in your next update or put together a good collection to download

I subscribe that the gradient tool should be overworked. Especially (like all "presets"-tools) for the handling of presets. State of the art of organizing presets is very uncomfortable. And the graident should support multiple gradients in one layer.

The good news: There are hundreds of free gradients in the Ressources sub.

To start take this and say thank you to sierra alfa  and good luck to organize them in your own way ;) 

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

7 hours ago, igmutanka said:

Re-creating any gradient and collection is unacceptable.
Especially because of that the Affinity Photo is the replacement for PS.

Who told you Affinity Photo is a replacement for PS? It is an alternative to PS, not a replacement, made by one of Adobe's competitors (Serif Labs). Moreover, Adobe has not publicly released the specifications of its proprietary .grd format, although there have been efforts to reverse engineer it by third parties, complete with the usual "use at your own risk" disclaimers. Reverse engineering what a competitor may consider its proprietary intellectual property & using it to enhance the value of your own products can raise some thorny legal issues, so I imagine this is one of the things Serif must consider if, when, or how they decide to support importing .grd files -- nobody wants another gif licensing debacle.

Of course, the technical challenges of writing a first class importer are not exactly trivial, either. Users expect such things to work seamlessly with 100% conversion accuracy & usability, which may be impossible, or require rewriting large chunks of the code.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 5 months later...

Hello Guys, just found this thread now and it's really nice to read the whole thing.
 also believe .grd should be supported into Affinity Products, i know many here have talked about licensing etc... so, i maybe wrong too but how come Artstudio Pro which is not a product from Adobe does import .grd ?

i don't think they made a miracle or some magics.
See many talented designers/artists did nice job with gradient creation and it will be a normal thing for us using Serif products to also make use of it.
What i create using Affinity is mine the same way for what another guy out there created with Adobe products we should both be able to enjoy what one another have created thus breaking the barrier separating us (the only difference being the software used)

Not sure it can make things happen but at least here is my contribution.

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

• 1 year later...

Reviving this thread to mention a workaround I found whereby you can load a gradient into affinity by first describing it in an SVG file.

So here goes:

1. Create an svg file using any text editor with your color stops (as hex colors, rgb does not appear to be supported) and their percentages as shown below:

<svg width="110" height="400" version="1.1" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg">
  <defs>
      <linearGradient id="Gradient1" gradientUnits="objectBoundingBox" x1="0" x2="0" y1="0" y2="1">
		<stop class="stop1" offset="0%"  style="stop-color:#063168"/>
		<stop class="stop2" offset="10%" style="stop-color:#1A5996"/>
		<stop class="stop3" offset="20%" style="stop-color:#1886C2"/>
		<stop class="stop4" offset="30%" style="stop-color:#54B3DE"/>
		<stop class="stop5" offset="40%" style="stop-color:#C1D7EA"/>
		<stop class="stop6" offset="50%" style="stop-color:#FFFFFF"/>
		<stop class="stop7" offset="60%" style="stop-color:#FDC579"/>
		<stop class="stop8" offset="70%" style="stop-color:#FA7C59"/>
		<stop class="stop9" offset="80%" style="stop-color:#DA3C3A"/>
		<stop class="stop10" offset="90%" style="stop-color:#9F1943"/>
		<stop class="stop11" offset="100%" style="stop-color:#69012C"/>
	</linearGradient>
  </defs>

<rect x="5" y="5" width="90" height="390" fill="url(#Gradient1)"/>

</svg>

2. Open your svg in Affinity Designer (probably works in Affinity Photo too, but I haven't tried).

1302985134_Annotation2019-10-10144349.thumb.png.63f7c69d079e37f92c1bb7d6d751b2b1.png

3. Select the rectangle, then go to the "Swatches" panel, click the "add fill to palette" button.

1082865815_Annotation2019-10-10144459.png.75d02b65ec8f02c4c417abb097493cd1.png

4. Now you can close/discard the svg file and use your freshly imported gradient in any other document by selecting it from your palette.

• 2 years later...
17 hours ago, solidarity said:

can you pleas this photoshop gradient convert .afpalette

Here is the original. https://www.deviantart.com/liasmani/art/Majestic-Sky-Gradient-142451099

And here comes the adapted version.

image.png.10bdbace47e8f79e52cfa91aab93dc4a.png

EDIT: Sorry to say, but after I read the terms of use, I'm not allowed to distribute this file.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

11 hours ago, Komatös said:

EDIT: Sorry to say, but after I read the terms of use, I'm not allowed to distribute this file.

You’re not allowed to distribute it via a resource website, blog, or forum, and you mustn’t try to pass it off as your own work, but creating an Affinity palette file based on the PS gradient file and then sharing it privately (e.g. via PM and email) doesn’t seem to violate any rules.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

45 minutes ago, Alfred said:

You’re not allowed to distribute it via a resource website, blog, or forum, and you mustn’t try to pass it off as your own work, but creating an Affinity palette file based on the PS gradient file and then sharing it privately (e.g. via PM and email) doesn’t seem to violate any rules.

Technically, even sharing via PM is making use of the forum. Sharing via email would seem to be OK, though, if two users were willing to exchange email addresses via PM. 

But in this situation I would be more comfortable with contacting the original author and asking if they objected. And possibly offering the converted file to them so they could host the converted file(s) on their site.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 1 year later...