You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

HI, I would like to know if I can have a free license for publisher when it comes because I just bought Designer to do my book designs. And as I find it, its useless. No bleed control, no text flow for frames, serious, this is not good. So fahr, I have lost money. Regards JAN

• Staff

Hi Jan,

Welcome to the forums.

As you've just purchased Affinity Designer from our store, If you send an email to affinityreturns@serif.com with your order information a refund can be processed. Out of interest, did you try the free trial of Designer before purchasing to see if it would meet your requirements?

Thank you Lee, I did test the trial, but did not use the wanted features, because I expected them to work as they should be essential features for anyone using a design tool. To fix the bleed issue, should be so easy, its just to make the artboard or page the bleed value wider for an extra view setting, view for press or something, small fix. The flow in text boxes the same, super easy to fix, so far that's all, why not just fix it and make a lot of people happy, and get a lot better impression about the affinity brand.  Historically , because you call it designer, the connection to micrografx designer and corel designer is there, both softwares was a combo of illustrator and indesign, as we know adobe happily killed macrographics.... sadly

• Staff

Hi Jan Gaare,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Affinity Designer is part of a suite of programs comprised by Designer, Photo and later this summer Publisher. We are trying to keep each of one as much focused as possible. Designer was never intended to be used for heavy text dependent projects where linked text boxes, baseline grids, advanced typography/formatting controls etc are a requirement so it's unlikely that any of those will be added to the program. Publisher should/will provide the tools/functionality needed for desktop publishing projects. Although some of those tools/funcionality could also be useful (duplicated) in Designer (or Photo for that matter) we are going for a better integration between the functionally/interaction between all of the apps as complementary focused tools (working as a whole) rather than on maximising the features of each one to cover a wider ground. This helps reduce the bloat/complexity/duplicated functionality on each one, simplify learning and hopefully provide more dedicated/advanced features for the fields they were intended to cover.

Bleed preview should be added in a future update/version.

• Staff

Hi Jan,

I was simply trying to explain why a few features you may find on other apps may not be available here (in Designer). As soon as Publisher is out it should become more clear how/why this integration is important. Sorry if the post sounded condescending or anything else. It wasn't really my intention.

I hope there is a way to get a good price for publisher, I probably keep the photo and designer, and get publisher too, easier to understand the plan now, but got a bit disappointed about designer first.  In total a better deal then getting enslaved by Adobe :-) Keep up the good work, thank you for such humble response, JAN

My advice is to keep both apps and buy the Publisher when it comes out. They will be a good trio.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

On ‎13‎.‎02‎.‎2018 at 0:33 PM, MEB said:

Hi Jan,

I was simply trying to explain why a few features you may find on other apps may not be available here (in Designer). As soon as Publisher is out it should become more clear how/why this integration is important. Sorry if the post sounded condescending or anything else. It wasn't really my intention.

So with this info, the 2 icons of AD and AP make more sense in the sneak peek of APub. ;) And I bet, at this time AD and AP also will get an update with Icons of APub. It's only a guess, and I know. MEB, you can'r answer this, because you don't want to lose your job. ;)

On 13/02/2018 at 11:40 AM, Jan Gaare said:

I hope there is a way to get a good price for publisher, I probably keep the photo and designer, and get publisher too, easier to understand the plan now, but got a bit disappointed about designer first.  In total a better deal then getting enslaved by Adobe :-) Keep up the good work, thank you for such humble response, JAN

As you know, the launch prices of both Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer were very reasonable, in fact, very cheap, £30-40. The same should apply to Affinity Publisher when it becomes available. :)

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4