You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

@TransitionMan

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums. 

This is the easiest question of the day..... 

YES 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Please be aware that the Affinity apps cannot read the proprietary AI format, so they depend upon your Illustrator files having been saved with the PDF compatibility option (to give them a PDF stream that Affinity can read). The Affinity apps are also unable to write editable text to a PSD file, although they can read PSD text.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I'm so excited. I am just downloading the trials of Affinity Photo & Affinity Designer and feel pretty good about the prospect of being free of Adobe... finally. I really hope this works out.

As a part-time freelancer/mother to young child I just can't afford the extorionate adobe subscription as my work is sporadic - sometimes I only get 1 job a month at the moment. I'm a little scared though, as most of us are who have been using adobe ever since starting our careers, but am determined to give this a good shot and look forward to telling everyone else to do the same.

Fingers crossed that this will be my dream solution :)

Lucy

MacBook Pro Retina 2013 (High Sierra) - Using Affinity Photo - Affinity Designer

• Staff

@lrjdesign

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums. I hope you find that it suits your needs 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

5 hours ago, lrjdesign said:

I'm so excited. I am just downloading the trials of Affinity Photo & Affinity Designer and feel pretty good about the prospect of being free of Adobe... finally. I really hope this works out.

As a part-time freelancer/mother to young child I just can't afford the extorionate adobe subscription as my work is sporadic - sometimes I only get 1 job a month at the moment. I'm a little scared though, as most of us are who have been using adobe ever since starting our careers, but am determined to give this a good shot and look forward to telling everyone else to do the same.

Fingers crossed that this will be my dream solution :)

Affinity can only get better, so the futures bright, one thing to bear in mind is Designer is not Illustrator and Photo is not Photoshop and while they do very similar things they are their own type of app. There are no dumb questions so ask whatever you need to, there are many tutorials for you to watch and, as always, have fun learning on your way to your dream :D

ps, create a sig in your profile so people can see what OS you have, the apps you use, see mine below for an example, this prevents people from having to ask common questions. Also let people know which app you are referring to, something like AD or AP will do, it just makes life easier. 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

54 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

ps, create a sig in your profile so people can see what OS you have, the apps you use, see mine below for an example, this prevents people from having to ask common questions. Also let people know which app you are referring to, something like AD or AP will do, it just makes life easier.

Create your signature here in your account settings. As for abbreviating the app name, it’s probably a good idea to avoid using ‘AP’ for Affinity Photo now that Affinity Publisher is on the way; I’m in the habit of referring to Affinity Photo as ‘APh’.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

54 minutes ago, Alfred said:

avoid using ‘AP’ for Affinity Photo now that Affinity Publisher is on the way; I’m in the habit of referring to Affinity Photo as ‘APh’.

OMG and if Serif bring out a D.A.M. program. Affinity DAM ?

duh

I'm too old for this wheelchair

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

19 minutes ago, toltec said:

OMG and if Serif bring out a D.A.M. program. Affinity DAM ?

duh

I'm too old for this wheelchair

got to be ADam

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

Create your signature here in your account settings. As for abbreviating the app name, it’s probably a good idea to avoid using ‘AP’ for Affinity Photo now that Affinity Publisher is on the way; I’m in the habit of referring to Affinity Photo as ‘APh’.

I wondered what APh was lol

Well all of the text shortcuts are now installed and ready for the future.

Affinity Photo (APh) 

Affinity Designer (ADe) 

Affinity Publisher (APu) 

Affinity Digital Asset Manager (ADam) 

Come on Affinity Gnomes, I have shortcuts to use. :)

56 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Affinity Digital Asset Manager (ADam)

Who said that it will be named "Digital Asset Manager" (?) which is overall more a common term for a category of software, instead of an individual corporate product naming here. - What if they call it later instead "Affinity Catalog" or "Affinity Carousel" or whatever?

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

1 hour ago, v_kyr said:

Who said that it will be named "Digital Asset Manager" (?) which is overall more a common term for a category of software, instead of an individual corporate product naming here. - What if they call it later instead "Affinity Catalog" or "Affinity Carousel" or whatever?

Maybe we should have a naming poll for if or when Affinity decide to give a damn about making a DAM. ¬¬ Frankly V_Kyr I don't give a DAM lol! ;)

5 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Maybe we should have a naming poll for if or when Affinity decide to give a damn about making a DAM. ¬¬ Frankly V_Kyr I don't give a DAM lol! ;)

Well it's their homework to find the right sounding and fitting name here, I usually sell my service and ideas only ... ;) 

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2