You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to cut out precisely selection of sphere filter?

How do I cut out precisely (!!!) the range I selected with the distortion filter "Sphere" - no matter live or destructive.

I tried everything, giving up... O.o

FYC: if I make a circle selection first, I never get the range spherized I want to...

Why is this filter limited to 1024 pixels???

Thanks for all reply in advance

howtocutoutspherefilter.thumb.jpg.dfd9eef65e3294acb5d35a9458e47eef.jpg

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography
Pipobike Mountainbike Guide and Driving Instructor

iMac 27 5K Retina (Late 2013), MBP 15" Retina (Something 2013), MBP13" Retina (Early 2015)

Just a short video to show you how to mask and end up with the image you want. Note that the sphere size is set to 700px but the ellipse I created was 1400px and this was placed centred using snapping.

cut out.mp4

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• Staff

Hi Roland Rick,

The Radius slider is limited to 1024px but you can insert/write a bigger value in the input field.

Regarding the selection use the Ellipse Tool to draw a circle the size of the spherical part (you can reduce it's opacity to help position it) then drag the circle layer over the thumbnail of the map layer in the Layers panel to use it as a vector mask - you can readjust the filter and mask non-destructively as needed.

3 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Just a short video to show you how to mask and end up with the image you want. Note that the Sheer is set to 700px but the ellipse I created was 1400px and this was placed centred using snapping.

cut out.mp4

Thanks, but that need first a workaround to make that part of image I am interested in to a square and it's necessary to type in the figures. Can not select the section I like intentionally... Anyway many thanks, it is a workaround delivering a solution. The filter tool itself is super convenient, because you can reposition it in real time and you get a WYSIWYG, but you can not "Cmd+J" the selection of it :/

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography

iMac 27 5K Retina (Late 2013), MBP 15" Retina (Something 2013), MBP13" Retina (Early 2015)

You can resize the canvas to the dimensions of the sphere I'll make an additional short for you. At the end of the video I was just showing how to select a layer by holding <cmd> down and clicking on the layer to get marching ants selection, just a quick tip.

resize canvas and export.mp4

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

20 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi Roland Rick,

The Radius slider is limited to 1024px but you can insert/write a bigger value in the input field.

Regarding the selection use the Ellipse Tool to draw a circle the size of the spherical part (you can reduce it's opacity to help position it) then drag the circle layer over the thumbnail of the map layer in the Layers panel to use it as a vector mask - you can readjust the filter and mask non-destructively as needed.

Thanks for reply, but I didn't get that with the vector mask. How can I use the Ellipse Layer as vecor mask? Following your instructions, I am stuck here and I have no idea, how the Ellipse should snap exactly to the Sphere live filters content, there is also such a strange + like distraction in the image as soon I drag the Ellipse under the Sphere Live Filter Layer. There is a snap, bit it's related to the Backgrounds edges not to content of Sphere Filter.

5a818b2d0dde7_howtovectormask.thumb.jpg.c8de3f69b6bfae6cf262956f3e1e6d06.jpg

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography

10 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

You can resize the canvas to the dimensions of the sphere I'll make an additional short for you. At the end of the video I was just showing how to select a layer by holding <cmd> down and clicking on the layer to get marching ants selection, just a quick tip.

So many thanks for your efforts, but in your demo - also the first short you sent - from start on everything is square, my selection if totally off any centre, I selected with magnetic snap OFF. Here's the link to the NASA's original world.200401.3x5400x2700.jpg

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography

Thats the problem I faced, a weird criss cross effect, that's why I used Rasterised To Mask. just using the Mask To Below didn't work. With regard to the alignment of the ellipse over the spherised map you would have to manually align the ellipse using zoom to get an accurate match

18 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Using the filter is super intuitive - but I can not get easily the selected content... o.O

screencast 2018-02-12 13-51-45.mp4

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography

• Staff

This bug only happens when the vector mask is nested and below the filter. Moving the mask to above the filter renders it correctly.

Roland Rick,

There's no way to snap the vector mask to the filtered area - you have to do it manually because the filter doesn't create any references points/nodes for the snap to jump to.

From what I can see the Sphere filter extends from the centre point of the image.  So with snapping switched on you can add a small ellipse to the centre point of the image then using the CTRL key extend it from the centre until it reaches the radius of the filter effect

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

1 hour ago, MEB said:

This bug only happens when the vector mask is nested and below the filter. Moving the mask to above the filter renders it correctly.

Roland Rick,

There's no way to snap the vector mask to the filtered area - you have to do it manually because the filter doesn't create any references points/nodes for the snap to jump to.

Due to this post, I assume you do no longer need the .afphoto like asked for above. I have a super slow upload speed where I life, that's why I want to avoid any non necessary uploads...

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography