You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

51 minutes ago, MikeFromMesa said:

> Saving to JPEG has to be done with the Export command or Export Persona.

Yes, and it has always been that way.

Yes, and no. You can open a JPEG, make changes, and save it again as a .jpg file with the same name. What you can't do is start with some other kind of file and save a .jpg. To do that you need to use Export.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

12 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Yes, and no. You can open a JPEG, make changes, and save it again as a .jpg file with the same name. What you can't do is start with some other kind of file and save a .jpg. To do that you need to use Export.

Yes. That is correct. 

I tend to forget that as I usually am working with raw or tiff, so I have gotten into the habit of exporting all of my images to jpg. I probably do that as well on those rare occasions when I am working with a jpg, just out of habit.

Just to recap and to be pedantic ..

if you open a jpeg file -> use the develop / photo persona to change things -> and hit save, yes the orignal jpeg file is overwritten with a new jpeg file with the changes you did in the develop / photo persona .. no warning it just does it.

if you open a jpeg file -> use the develop photo persona -> and hit save as you can only save as .afphoto file type

Other means of saving are available ... i.e. export persona; however if you try to overwrite your jpeg in export persona with the same filename you do at least get a warning and request for action.

I'm sure there are other combinations I haven't come across yet, perhaps we need a matrix of the combos to make it clear for folks .. addition to the manual perhaps ... or have I missed it?

Cheers

Reg,

Please don't mistake my opinion for expert comment :) for no way no how am I an expert on anything. However I am curious and willing to learn. 

Affinity Photo (latest I promise)

Affinity Photo Beta (I have a lot of time on my hands)

Affinity Designer (Also the latest; promise)

Affinity Designer Beta (Because I like new things)

I need to get out more - Yes :)

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.