You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is PagePlus X9 a reasonable substitute for PageMaker 6?

When I retired from graphic design in 1997 I had PageMaker 6. In all the years since then I have continued to use it for simple layouts for personal use (and artwork donated to local charities of stationery, posters, flyers, etc.). PageMaker 6 fulfilled all my needs. BUT I just got started with Windows 10 (from Windows XP) and it does not support PageMaker. I was looking around on the internet and found references to PagePlus being a good substitute for Pagemaker 6, 6.5 and 7. Is this true and does the final version on the Affinity site include the absolute last updates that will be provided. What about "support" - or is the forum the only choice for that? I basically need simple, simple, simple compared to what the latest offerings from Affinity and other programs available from other sources provide. Any advice or suggestions?

Thanks, One Tree in The Forest

Affinity has planned the release of Publisher for DTP-artists, somewhere halfway this year I think. That would make it pointless to buy something else. Perhaps until the release date, go for Scribus which is an open source DTP program. It has its limitations and the UI is a pain to use (my opinion), but at least you won't depart with money that was better saved for buying Affinity Publisher.

Home: https://vectorwhiz.com  : : : :  Portfolio blog: https://communicats.blogspot.com

The proper forum for PagePlus is:

https://community.serif.com/forum/?products=pageplus

That said, PagePlus is a dead product--i.e., will no longer be developed any longer. However, it works well on Windows 10 and at the price Serif is charging and seeing how the yet to be released Affinity Publisher absolutely will not be as capable as PagePlus is, it may be a good purchase until such time as APub gets out and improved.

In my opinion, PagePlus is more capable than Pagemaker 7. There are some similarities, but many differences in how one can accomplish the same tasks. If you go ahead with a purchase of PagePlus, do use the forum I linked to above for your questions. Some of us here also respond there. It's a good group of people.

Mike