You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

(proper) scanner support for Affinity Photo (16 bit and color management)

Scanner support has been asked for a few people already, but I'd like to make it more clear why it make sense to use AP rather than just import scan from other softwares.

There are two things that would not quite be provided with an external scanning software: 16 bit and color management

By far I've not quite find any software out there that supports 16 bit scanning (maybe Photoshop can, but I'm not using that for obvious reasons), which kinda makes archiving slightly more "destructive", since later color management might create more banding. For driver that has color management, this might not be that much of an issue, but for people who need to scan film negatives (though I'm not one of those, at least not yet), no 16 bit might mean more color artifact than it should be.

And for color management, well, it's kinda easier to explain. If scanning feature is introduced one day, it should scan to the develop persona.

Both VueScan and Silverfast support 16-bit output as tiff. It does depend, though, on whether your scanner performs in 16-bit. Most scan at 10- or 12-bit.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

I second VueScan (and Silverfast which I used a long time ago). VueScan supports high-bit, and is colour managed - profiling is available for scanner, film, and printer. And the output quality is excellent - FAR better than the original Canon driver software was able to achieve.

An external viewer can be set up, and the result automatically opened.

So no real direct need for Photo to support a direct scanner import option. Dedicated scanner software would produce superior output anyway (probably).

But 1bit support is a very different case: we MUST have that supported. It's a glaring omission in the software, and just makes it impossible to perform certain basic tasks in Photo.