You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Using Equations in Distort - Convert to Polar

Conversion of a rectangular image to polar co-ordinates using Equations is not straightforward. A major problem is that the origin of the rectangular Cartesian co-ordinates is the top left, whereas for a polar display, you would typically want the origin on the midline, probably near the bottom. The following equations assume that the origin is in the midline along the x-axis, and at or near the bottom on the y-axis. First select Filter > Distort > Equations and enter:

x=w*atan((x-w/2)/(h/a-y))/100+w/2
y=h-sqrt((x-w/2)^2+(h-y)^2)

The expression (x-w/2) displaces the horizontal origin to the centre, and the expression (h-y) displaces the vertical origin to the bottom. In the first formula, for x, there is a parameter a, which allows you to scale the polar transformation; reducing the parameter a stretches the image around the circle.

The 100 is an arbitrary scaling parameter which seems to work. The expression +w/2 at the end re-centres the image. This seems to be necessary, but I am not sure why. I would have expected to deduct w/2 rather than add it!

Here is an original image of the Quantum Leap statue in Shrewsbury:

5a802382bb3cf_QuantumLeapHDRAff640.jpg.1208704dccdcad4dfdc6d230c56a722d.jpg

With this transform using the default parameter a, this produces a quadrant.

QuantumLeapPolar1.0.jpg.ab6ce3f119d4f1559352b78084737647.jpg

And with the parameter set to approximately 0.6:

QuantumLeapPolar0.6.jpg.0fe4ae712eb36b5f8ff09ecd05954c26.jpg

Here is the Macro: PolarQuadrant.afmacro

The first thing the macro does is to unlock the image. I tend to do this automatically in macros. It is probably unnecessary. I ought to be able to give the adjustable parameter a, a name, but I have not been able to do this.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

• 1 year later...
  • Staff

Try using this for the X equation:

x = w*(atan((x-w/2)/(h/(a)-y)))+w/2

There have been a couple of changes.  All inverse trig methods return a strict angle value.  This defaults to a value in degrees (not radians).  I'm not sure what the affect of the /100 was - but removing it seems to improve things.  I also can't remember if they used to generate radians or degrees.

There is also a bug I've just fixed in relation to copy-paste of your above equations.  There appear to be hidden format characters in the strings you've posted.  These are also throwing our expression parser.  I've now added code to mitigate for hidden characters.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

The post above from @Ben relates to my post in Bugs in Photo 1.7 beta. The macros still work in Photo 1.6. I will issue a revised macro when 1.7 is finalised. This might also require revision of some of my other macros.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630