You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pen tool not showing stroked line?

Hey 

So I'm new to this program. Wanted to try a small project. I have a quick png that I created in sai that I wanted to create a vector outline of. 

Behold the egg of glory. Now I've got my original on its own pixel layer. All the crap is cut out from behind. My layer above is a transparency. Opacity set to 100. I stroke with the pen tool, and?....

I'm left with the awesome skeleton, but no digital ink on the digital canvas. What am I missing?

help.png

Hard to tell from that screenshot, since a stroke of 0.9 pt in that setup color might be covered by the layer selection magenta color here and thus not visable. Does the tracing layer have full opacity and normal blend mode applied?

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

12 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Does the tracing layer have full opacity and normal blend mode applied?

The settings in the Layers panel indicate that it does. detective.gif

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

4 minutes ago, Alfred said:

The settings in the Layers panel indicate that it does. detective.gif

Really? - Then tell me my tracing layer settingguess_tracing.jpg.7acf842f7e0e95a5becc5d10c4e8d0b9.jpg here, what are they?

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

OK, my mistake! I should have noticed that it only tells you the settings for the selected curve, not the containing layer. :o

Alfred spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...

It doesnt really seem to matter how high up the stroke is placed. Which was one of the more obvious things I checked before getting onto the forums. I'd take another screen shot to prove it, but now my trial has run out. And I'm on the fence about whether I should purchase the program. I was hoping it was something really dumb that I was missing. 

On 2/11/2018 at 8:02 AM, v_kyr said:

Hard to tell from that screenshot, since a stroke of 0.9 pt in that setup color might be covered by the layer selection magenta color here and thus not visable. Does the tracing layer have full opacity and normal blend mode applied?

26 minutes ago, Bonnie said:

And I'm on the fence about whether I should purchase the program.

There’s a 14-day money back guarantee. Since you’re on Windows and you therefore don’t need to deal with the Mac App Store, the procedure should be pretty painless. (For the same reason, the Microsoft Store version is probably best avoided in a case like this.)

Affinity Help and Support: Returns

Alfred spacer.png

5 minutes ago, Alfred said:

There’s a 14-day money back guarantee. Since you’re on Windows and you therefore don’t need to deal with the Mac App Store, the procedure should be pretty painless. (For the same reason, the Microsoft Store version is probably best avoided in a case like this.)

Affinity Help and Support: Returns

Ok. Well hey thanks Alfred. Maybe there was just something wrong with my trial version? Like it was glitchy or something? I guess I do  plan on purchasing, just because its a dope concept for a program.  I'll be back on if I encounter the same issues.