You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

stroke not as clipping mask?

I want to use SEVERAL forms with the FILL as clipping mask, while keeping the stroke as solide color. 

All ways i tried produces the same result: The whole form is the clipping mask, not just the fill. Even if i give a "stroke" via the layer fx (border, surround, stroke???? - the tab above 3D) uts the same: The "stroke" will become "transparent".

Well, i could work with lot of duplicates (resized as the stroke should be), but with a lot of forms and lot of resize/reposition this is very uncomfortable.

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

Is there another program that can do what you want? to show an example?

I can't see how this can be done without duplication, by its nature the shape, including the stroke, becomes the mask, if you align the stroke to the outside the mask will use that as an extension to the shapes dimensions and consequently the size of the mask. This is logical and I can't personally see how it could be done the way you want without duplication.

Maybe others could give a more technical reason for the masking behaviour.

5a8000db8b30c_ScreenShot2018-02-11at08_36_14.png.d7e245f9ae03593c03165e574aeb0a20.png

5a8000daef21e_ScreenShot2018-02-11at08_36_37.png.d8c2da29ba091c6d412912bd44147280.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Multiple fills and strokes are coming... perhaps the devs can add a Clipping vs Regular Mode toggle there...?

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

1 hour ago, Polygonius said:

The relevant part starts about 2:10. Its all possible with AP, except the strokes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekodKqmDzjg

Much clearer about what you want to achieve.

The closest I can get at the moment is to have a translucent stroke but thats all to do with Black Reveals & White Conceals, so setting the Stroke to 50% Opacity will get you a translucent stroke.

5a80267cb84fc_ScreenShot2018-02-11at11_16_14.thumb.png.fe6158d4bde65f027bf3b34ad0e90d9f.png

You could expand the stroke but that really doesn't work because you then get a separate layer with a doughnut curve so you're back to duplication again.

5a802676686bc_ScreenShot2018-02-11at11_17_41.thumb.png.b4711f51004a4defeaffd34a96f30da8.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

24 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Much clearer about what you want to achieve.

And, do you have an idea how to realize this with AP?

If i clip my "background" into ONE form, the form keeps the stroke, but then the background is nested to just this ONE form. If i put several forms in an inverted mask i lost the strokes and even the form, juts the outside from all, and this alt-click-combine all forms also does not work for this, so whats a usable way to recreate this effect???

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

See attached file  (Remember to Lock Children, when moving Ellipses)

girl5.jpg

girl5.afphoto

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.