You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I don't know how to easily cut things in Designer. In the photo below I want to cut the highlighted part out and delete it. But I don't know how I would easily do it. Could I that path as a cutting tool. I already tried using the geometry things like divide, subtract, add, combine, intersect. Thanks!

Capture.PNG

Select the circle and the path and use the Geometry tools.

5a7f82c3b2e49_Cutwithapath.thumb.gif.449c56a44619eb8b4364c6ca1ecbc793.gif

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

You could also use the pie tool

5a7f834d1adee_ScreenShot2018-02-10at23_41_46.thumb.png.82ad0b32830bbb169bc6c0535d3966b3.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

5a803d38c2aef_pielove.png.2938c6beed76c42866bd6a231e96857e.png

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

No, not everyone loves pie! Only about one in every 3.14159265358979323846 people. xD

Back on topic, if the OP wants those arms extending outwards from the circle as shown in the screenshot, then using the Geometry commands is the way to go.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 minute ago, Alfred said:

No, not everyone loves pie! Only about one in every 3.14159265358979323846 people. xD

Such an irrational statement!

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

43 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Back on topic, if the OP wants those arms extending outwards from the circle as shown in the screenshot, then using the Geometry commands is the way to go.

How?

I can't see the way to do this just with Geometry commands

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

1 hour ago, carl123 said:
1 hour ago, Alfred said:

How?

Not exclusively, no, since you also need to break the diamond so that you can discard the bits you don't want.

Starting with the circle and an overlapping diamond or rotated square, select both with the Move Tool and click on the 'Divide' icon. Select and delete the pie slice which was created where the shapes overlapped, and then select what remains of the diamond. Switch to the Node Tool, select all of the nodes and press the 'Break Curve' button on the Context toolbar. Finally, select and delete the two central nodes to get rid of the pie arc and the two unwanted sides of the diamond.

Everybody-loves-pie!.afdesign

Alfred spacer.png

Yeah, the only way I could get it to work was by breaking curves

I thought I was missing some extra geometry commands they had forgotten to teach me in school

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

5 minutes ago, carl123 said:

I thought I was missing some extra geometry commands they had forgotten to teach me in school

LOL. :D

Alfred spacer.png

1 hour ago, carl123 said:

How?

How about:

Duplicate the chevron

With the duplicate over the circle, and both selected, hit Subtract. 

(in this case, I think the arms do extend far enough to catch all of that part of the circle)

Yields the desired look, albeit with a pie underneath the chevron.

If he/she really needs an open arc... Then yes, break and delete is needed.