Elenigna

File printing 'double'

Hi,

I am testing a PDF for print and depite looking sharp on screen (and having embedded the font) the print comes out 'double' giving it a blurry effect - screenshot attached. I checked other documents to figure out if it's the printer and the other documents don't have that issue at all.

What's causing that?

Thanks

DSC_0132.JPG

Screen Shot 2018-02-10 at 13.10.13.png

Your ‘double’ print doesn’t look like double to me! It looks like completely different text, upside down and backwards, as if it’s been printed on the other side of the sheet. Underneath “Journal please let us” in your first screenshot, I see a quotation mark followed by the words “Once we” (using the same font, but much larger).

Edit: After zooming in quite a lot, I think I see what you mean. The reversed “Once we” thing was a red herring: there’s a sort of drop shadow effect on the original text.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iOS 12.4.1 (iPad Air 2)

Just to clarify the first image (ignore the see-through print on the other side of the sheet) is a photo of the printed version of the PDF screenshoted in the second image.

The most obvious 'double' text in the photo is "Good luck!" (first image) however ALL the copy and vector images in the document print double - visible with the naked eye.

EDIT:  new sample file in my next reply.

--------

Pls see attached - printing either from the source file or the PDF from Mac Preview has double-printing issues. I re-tested printing all files and a random email and it's definitely not the printer as emails print perfectly.

You have a large pixel layer underneath your text, which is assigned a Colour Overlay effect. Try to hide or delete this layer and have a look if it makes any difference … :)

Pixel-Layer.thumb.png.0dbe84ad7f7a3584c7e521a7718ea6a8.png

6 minutes ago, A_B_C said:

Interesting … hmm … I must confess I cannot reproduce this. Your document prints perfectly here. O.o

It printed perfectly for me, too.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.356), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.7.3.475 Beta

9 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

It printed perfectly for me, too.

Mmmmmm. Not sure what to say, other documents print ok, only text from Affinity prints double :(

17 minutes ago, Elenigna said:

Mmmmmm. Not sure what to say, other documents print ok, only text from Affinity prints double :(

Other documents using that same font (JosefinSans Light)?

I should mention that when I tried your document I had to let Affinity Photo substitute a font, as I don't have that one. So it wasn't a perfect test. But possibly there's something odd with the font. Either, perhaps, a truly broken font, or something odd about it that confuses Affinity Photo.

Where did you get the font? I see it's available for free from a bunch of places, but if possible I'd like to try with the one you have.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.356), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.7.3.475 Beta

Elenigna: could you print a document from another app using exactly the same font (Josefine Sans)? Just to make sure the font isn’t corrupt on your system … :)

This is very mysterious indeed. The font I downloaded looks right. No issues in Fontlab.

On 19/02/2018 at 7:38 PM, A_B_C said:

Elenigna: could you print a document from another app using exactly the same font (Josefine Sans)? Just to make sure the font isn’t corrupt on your system … :)

This is very mysterious indeed. The font I downloaded looks right. No issues in Fontlab.

On 19/02/2018 at 7:31 PM, walt.farrell said:

Other documents using that same font (JosefinSans Light)?

I should mention that when I tried your document I had to let Affinity Photo substitute a font, as I don't have that one. So it wasn't a perfect test. But possibly there's something odd with the font. Either, perhaps, a truly broken font, or something odd about it that confuses Affinity Photo.

Where did you get the font? I see it's available for free from a bunch of places, but if possible I'd like to try with the one you have.

Thank you guys - much appreciated. I have tried 3 different fonts and printed one version of it with Pages. When printed with Pages all looks fine, when printed from Affinity I get a double print. Actually the icons look double too, so defo something wrong with the Affinity file.. :( help pls!

Top print in the screenshot is printed with Pages, bottom one from Affinity.

DSC_0679.JPG

25 minutes ago, A_B_C said:

Well, then let me ask:

• What is your printer model?
  • What are your print settings?

I must confess I have never seen anything remotely similar … O.o

canon mg2900

standard settings.. anything in particular you look for?

I have never seen this either before, and it's very frustrating

On 16/02/2018 at 2:57 PM, Sean P said:

Hi Elenigna,

Could you attach your Affinity file, along with the resulting PDF please. Also what app are you printing the PDF from?

Thanks

Hello again - any help with this pls ? I can't figure out what the issue is :/

Hmm … I brushed the dust off from my Canon Pixma MX 395 that seems to use a similar printer driver, but I couldn’t reproduce the issue. It is strange that these problems would only show up in Affinity Photo. So you get these double contours also when you export a PDF from Affinity Photo and print the exported PDF afterwards? And at the same time, you cannot see anything in the PDF, when you open it in a PDF viewer like Adobe Acrobat? Weird.

Maybe I would try to use a different printer and have a look at the results. You will be able to track down the issue only by tweaking the parameters of your printing process. And that means, changing the settings in the printer dialog, and if that doesn’t make any difference, trying another printer. I cannot believe it should be a problem of Affinity Photo. If it was a common problem with the app, I am sure more people would have complained. Therefore, I would guess it is a problem with your particular setup. Hmm … :/

3 hours ago, A_B_C said:

Hmm … I brushed the dust off from my Canon Pixma MX 395 that seems to use a similar printer driver, but I couldn’t reproduce the issue. It is strange that these problems would only show up in Affinity Photo. So you get these double contours also when you export a PDF from Affinity Photo and print the exported PDF afterwards? And at the same time, you cannot see anything in the PDF, when you open it in a PDF viewer like Adobe Acrobat? Weird.

Maybe I would try to use a different printer and have a look at the results. You will be able to track down the issue only by tweaking the parameters of your printing process. And that means, changing the settings in the printer dialog, and if that doesn’t make any difference, trying another printer. I cannot believe it should be a problem of Affinity Photo. If it was a common problem with the app, I am sure more people would have complained. Therefore, I would guess it is a problem with your particular setup. Hmm … :/

The problem is with that particular file, not the printer. I have tested a new version copying and pasting the content of that Affinity file into a new Affinity file and it prints ok. If anyone has an idea of what settings are making that file behave like that would be great otherwise I will have to spend hours re-doing it and hope I don't come across the same issue. ;)

12 hours ago, Elenigna said:

The problem is with that particular file, not the printer. I have tested a new version copying and pasting the content of that Affinity file into a new Affinity file and it prints ok. If anyone has an idea of what settings are making that file behave like that would be great otherwise I will have to spend hours re-doing it and hope I don't come across the same issue. ;)

Probably I'm confused, but: If copying and pasting the content of that Affinity file into a new Affinity file fixes the problem, why will you have to spend hours redoing it? Why not just use the new file that works?

(I have no idea what the problem with that file might be. Seems very strange.)

-- Walt

To say it most clearly: there is nothing in the last file you shared that might explain why it should print as it obviously does. And without being able to compare the old file to the new one that is printed correctly, there is no chance to guess what part of your setup is acting up.

(Maybe your printer doesn’t like to be fed CMYK data … whatever … it is impossible to guess on the basis of the information available …)

On 23/02/2018 at 7:13 PM, Elenigna said:

Hello again - any help with this pls ? I can't figure out what the issue is :/

Hi,

I've tried your file, but like everyone else I've been unable to reproduce it. I honestly have no idea what might be going on. I would definitely try Walt's idea of copy and pasting all the objects across and see if that works.

11 minutes ago, Sean P said:

I honestly have no idea what might be going on. I would definitely try Walt's idea of copy and pasting all the objects across and see if that works.

That was the OP’s idea, not Walt’s, and the OP has (successfully) tried it already.

19 hours ago, Elenigna said:

The problem is with that particular file, not the printer. I have tested a new version copying and pasting the content of that Affinity file into a new Affinity file and it prints ok.

Walt was simply questioning (as I do!) why the OP would have to spend hours redoing anything if copying and pasting the content of the misbehaving file into a new file fixes the problem.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iOS 12.4.1 (iPad Air 2)

@Sean P just to let you know we've worked out the issue in the end and it was indeed with the software: the same exact vector prints double when into an artboard but not when in a (single) page with the exact same settings. Can you let us know if you can reproduce / fix that pls? We'd like to keep using the software but can't with this sort of issue happening ..