You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Jaguar E-Type Lightweight (AD)

VectorVonDoom

Yip the E-Type is pretty cool and fine made, though the choosen background is IMHO awful and does not justice the fine drawing work and car at all here.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

I tried to keep it similar style to the one in the photo but I'll be enlarging the background so will have another think. I might just go back to a simple one, not sure exactly what yet. The photo was obviously photoshopped as they missed chunks when they masked it, I think it was originally a normal studio shot.

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

Some things which I've seen there on the net ist 3D rendered (location, lighting etc.) though. However sometimes a high res background pic (convertes to greyscales etc.) will do too. - Just a quick'n'dirty play here to give some idea ...

garage.thumb.jpg.c2d1d5a49f576d94fd91952c5e91c600.jpg

etype_garage.thumb.jpg.66c010812a27781e5cec17560cb33611.jpg

showroom.thumb.jpg.fd285b47116f4ad28dceb75943a575e6.jpg

... or some other sort of more show room location instead of a garage etc. - You have to see what fits best in your opinion.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

I was thinking that sort of thing would look better if was the whole car and not just half of it but will try a few things out. This is where I am so far for a simple background a couple of gradients and blend modes plus some vignette. Need to fiddle with it a bit. Just fits nicely in an A0 document.

Jaguar A0 2.jpg

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

Yes this looks and fits better than the initial one in similar colorings as the E-Type, since the car is the main motive and subject of attention here, it does not distract attention to this.

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I thought I'd share the AD file for this with people here. It's just for you own use and not to be shared around on other sites.

Some have asked about organisation and the tin toy gives you an idea but this is on a completely different scale plus it's nice to look at source files. Some of the groups have numbers in brackets as I was trying to keep track of the number of objects. No real reason other than interesting but soon got bored of doing that! You might want to turn off the texture layers if you're looking at in outline mode.

Jaguar_A0.afdesign

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

I'm not sure it matters too much. I usually block in the main shape even if it's just in a single colour, well you can usually pick some sort of gradient too.

I think I said that for this one I started with the steering wheel as I didn't know if I could do a realistic looking wood, if I couldn't it wouldn't work so needed to find out first.  Then I did the leather straps for the same reason. So any difficult things that make or break it are probably best done first. Then if you just can't get those right you haven't wasted as much time as finding out at the end. I really should have done the main part of the wheel towards the beginning as that was a bit of a pain. 

You always want a little bit of blur over the whole thing, sometimes a tiny bit, otherwise it ends up looking like a cutout pasted on to a background. One good tip is to try and work in one size, so say A1. That way you quickly learn how much blur to add to various things and don't have to think about it or fiddle too much. If you use multiple sizes then the blur amounts are going to be different for each.

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

• 4 weeks later...

Honestly, I don't enjoy cars much, but your skill of execution just blows me away every time. I love looking at your work even if the subject matter is not something I typically enjoy.

2019 MacBook Pro 16” | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2

2018 iPad Pro 12.9” | Apple Pencil 2 | Affinity Designer for iPad 2 | Affinity Photo for iPad 2 | Affinity Publisher for iPad 2

Years with Affinity: 5 ❤️ https://www.instagram.com/cealcrest/

FEATURE WISH LIST  Vector Mesh Tool    Shape Builder Tool   🥚True Vector Brushes   🥚Vector Pattern Fill  🥚Studio Link in All Apps

APP WISH LIST  Publisher   🥚2D Animation/Video

Thank you.  I'm no expert, the photorealistic stuff I've posted on here is all I've done so I'm a relative newbie. But that shows that if you wanted to anyone can do it, there aren't really tutorials so I just got stuck in. Sometimes the thought of doing something puts you off but if you start you find it's not as bad as your feared.

However they're not projects you can do in a spare evening or rainy Sunday so aren't for everyone. Basically multiply how complicated you think something is by a few to a lot and you might be closer. Because of that it can be a bit discouraging, sometimes you work on it for a day, zoom out and you've hardly dented it. I also seem to have a stage where I think it looks a mess, you just power though and it does come together (well has done so far, not sure if the Venus one will do).

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Well I didn't use a whole lot of tools or features but any performance improvements are nice. On my macbook, which is starting to get a bit old, I did end up splitting it and doing the wheel and tyre separately. I've only had a very quick play with 1.7 beta and not yet checked how much faster it seems.

Probably the handiest for something like this is that you can now highlight layers or groups (although I'd perhaps have liked it to be the whole row not just the end bit, even easier to spot and a perhaps a way to cycle through each with the keyboard).  As it was I'd add temporary marker layers, something like ****** xxxx goes here ******  and even then I'd sometimes have to scan through more than once to find them. 

The only other obvious one is rubber banding on the pen tool, which is fairly standard on vector apps and I might have had that turned on.

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

@VectorVonDoom you are very talented and I salute you. Your work is also a living proof of something one should never forget: succes requires 10% talent and 90% hard work. No matter how big the talent. Or 20/80 or whatever ratio. You have to pay for the result with time. Life. But it makes sense.

I stopped watching tv 30 years ago when I realized how time spent creating instead made me a lot happier. Even during weeks of repetitious hard work. 

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.