You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to create a Rorschach-type image?

I am wondering what is the best way to create an image with mirror symmetry in the manner of a Rorschach blot. I want to use the left hand side of a photo and flip it over so that the right side of the image and the left side are mirror images of each other. However I need to do it very precisely without the mirror line being in the wrong place or there being any visible seam. Is there a clever trick for doing this? I'm having great trouble getting the precision I need using the obvious tools.

There are probably a number ways to do what you want but your requirements are are a bit subjective - we don't know what "the right place" is or what you mean by "very precise".  If you could post an image with a more detailed description it would help. 

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

I spoke too soon. I've been trying to get to grips with the mirror filter, but I can't find any way to move the line of reflection. There is no way to do it within the filter itself, so I would need to do it before applying the filter. I've tried various things, such as using the move tool, cropping the image to move the centre sideways, and enlarging the canvas to achieve the same thing, but no matter what I do, the line of reflection remains in the same place relative to the original photo. How can I get round this?

48 minutes ago, ricecrispies said:

I spoke too soon. I've been trying to get to grips with the mirror filter, but I can't find any way to move the line of reflection. There is no way to do it within the filter itself, ...

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do it in the filter. When the filter window is open, are you clicking and dragging on the image?

Of course you don't have to use the filter at all. You can do this with a copy of the image and clipping.

Perhaps a post of the actual image and what you want to do to it (where you want the mirror) would help.

I see now how to slide the image perpendicular to the line of reflection, but I can't find a way to change the angle of that line. I'm trying to reflect my hand around an axis going the length of my middle finger so that I have two thumbs and three fingers. When I was playing around with the filter before, the line was vertical, which is approximately what I want, but now it's changed to horizontal and I can't change it back. What I really want is to be able either to change the angle of that line very precisely, or else to be able to rotate the image beforehand so that it makes just the right angle when I apply the filter. I haven't succeeded at doing either. 

two half hands.jpg

Looks like you need to have 2 as the # of mirrors in order to get a vertical split line.

(it would be nice to have a modifier key to constrain the drag direction though o.O)

But for the angle, play with the input parameter.

Tip: seems like the further away from the dial the finer the control is. Also, you can just type a number into the field.

(Original is at a heavy angle. Corrected with the 157° input.)

5a80c5cd2836b_ScreenShot2018-02-11at5_29_45PM.thumb.png.e3636c958815ec898fe6b5cfd9072efd.png

Of course, you could also just adjust the angle beforehand... as u mentioned.

Bonsoir.

Je pense que cela se décide à la prise de vue.

Par nature, la main n'est pas symétrique.

L'axe de symétrie naturel, passe par le poignet et, entre le majeur et l'annulaire

Si vous passez par l'axe du majeur, vous ne serez pas dans l'axe du bras.

Pour réussir la prise de vue, il faudrait passer par l'axe du majeur et du poignet en orientant la main.

Thanks once again everyone! I think I'm finally getting the hang of it now. Part of the problem was that the individual input and output controls for the filter weren't always doing what I would have intuitively expected. Now that understand how they work together I'm starting to make progress.

I'm only using one mirror, but setting the input angle to 269° fixes the horizontal/vertical thing and adds a 1° correction to stop the middle finger tapering.