You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity takes over my brush files. Help!

I use Affinity Photo for photo retouch and Corel Painter for digital art. I downloaded some custom brushes from the web, they are in .abr format, but my computer only allows them to be opened in Affinity Photo, Corel just doesn't recognize them any more. What should I do? How do I fix this? Thanks in advance for the replies.

@Nofe Attach the Abr file and someone with Corel Painter (CP); by the way which version of CP do you have? can see if the file will open in their CP.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

On 2018.02.10. at 10:55 AM, IanSG said:

To be clear, are you saying that you tried to open the .abr files with Corel Painter and it failed?  Was there an error message?

Yes, I tried to do it directly and through the settings of the brush library. I've Corel Painter 2015

On 2018.02.10. at 2:38 PM, haakoo said:

Hi,

You probably assigned designer/photo to open abr files.

Try assigning abrmate(freeware windows abrtool) as the main program to open/view abr files

This way you should be able to import abr files through the program of choice.

**NOTE**  Not all abr files can be opened or viewed by abrMate 

_Hans

How do I unassign on mac? Also tried importing, but CP doesn't recognize the file.

1 hour ago, Nofe said:

How do I unassign on mac?

On Macs, document file types are associated with a default app that opens if you double-click the file. You can change the default app for individual files or for all files of a specific type. See for example this old OSX Daily article for the details.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7