You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

12 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

They just can't sit at a table and agree to one format can they, they HAVE to complicate things and make there own strawberry jam.

To be fair about it, originally they all were mostly just trying to support color emoji, which started off as several different competing proprietary formats used by Japanese mobile services. Growing international interest in emojis created the demand for wider support but much like things are now for color fonts, there was no one obvious choice for how best to do that, so they made different choices based on what they each considered to be the most important things to optimize at the expense of the things they considered not as important.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

To be fair about it, originally they all were mostly just trying to support color emoji, which started off as several different competing proprietary formats used by Japanese mobile services. Growing international interest in emojis created the demand for wider support but much like things are now for color fonts, there was no one obvious choice for how best to do that, so they made different choices based on what they each considered to be the most important things to optimize at the expense of the things they considered not as important.

Seems logical, but I think this is a rod of their own making, I know competition can stimulate development but the best doesn't always win out does it. We'll see in the future who is the race leader, I suppose there will be spin-off tech like a font compression system to crunch the larger color font files, especially the bitmap versions, then the colour font creation apps, then the apps to use them in funky ways, so, business wise it's going to get lucrative for the main investors.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

11 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Seems logical, but I think this is a rod of their own making, I know competition can stimulate development but the best doesn't always win out does it.

The "rod," as it were, is that there is no way to optimize everything at the same time, & consequently no one "best" way to implement everything users want. A corollary is that since different users consider different things important, what is best for one is not necessarily best for another. Competition stimulates research, much of it devoted to finding new ways to optimize more things without compromising others too much.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

For Further Food for Thought:   ONE area that will provide  a real REAL difference  to all other similar programs:  Create something  in the Colours Palette / Studio View area could be :-

Image as  Most of us See it. With a Split screen Showing the Colours of the Image as a Colour Blind person would see that same image. There are THREE main types of Colour Blindness:-

Protanopia

Protanopes are more likely to confuse:-
1. Black with many shades of red
2. Dark brown with dark green, dark orange and dark red
2. Some blues with some reds, purples and dark pinks
3. Mid-greens with some oranges

Deuteranopes

Deuteranopes are more likely to confuse:-
1. Mid-reds with mid-greens
2. Blue-greens with grey and mid-pinks
3. Bright greens with yellows
4. Pale pinks with light grey
5. Mid-reds with mid-brown
6. Light blues with lilac

Tritanopes

The most common colour confusions for tritanopes are light blues with greys, dark purples with black, mid-greens with blues and oranges with reds.

The images show how the beautiful colours of the pigments are lost to people suffering with each type of dichromatic vision.

http://www.colourblindawareness.org/colour-blindness/types-of-colour-blindness/

Despite LAWS in most Westernised Countries   being in place that Web sites MUST be Accessible to All... they are not.

For those designing for Web sites or images   screens etc etc    This SHOULD be factored into your designs.  It SHOULD also be taught in Educational institutions. Little has changes since my Research and thesis into this   way way back in 1998/1999.!!!!   Visitors to these sites  have the legal right to be able to access the same information  as everyone else.  

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• 6 months later...
On 2/8/2018 at 11:00 AM, LyricsGirl said:

Hi

I have JUST come upon a NEW Colour  Font! it is usable in later versions of Adobe products ( It is a joint collab with Mozilla & Adobe) and can be opened and used

as below table. ANY info as to WHEN this Highly important   new font can be at least opened and used in any Affinity products ( DESIGNER First, please!!)  ????

I spent AGES trying to 'see' the colour in a font only to discover I can't. I can see this new Industry it will NEED to be able to create or at least use this as we will be seeing it more and  from this year.

https://www.colorfonts.wtf/

App
  Color fonts Supported formats Comments
Photoshop Y SVG SBIX Since PS CC 2017
Illustrator Y SVG SBIX Since AI CC 2018
Pixelmator Y SBIX Want more? Ask on Twitter
Sketch Y SBIX Have your say! Ask on Twitter
Word 2013+ Mac X SBIX Have your say! Ask on Twitter
InDesign X   Ask on Twitter
Affinity Designer      X   Ask on Twitter

Neither Pixelmator or Sketch seem to have support for color fonts. At least I can't find out how to use color fonts in either of them.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/23/2018 at 12:49 AM, MikeW said:

And frankly, I don't really care whether Affinity applications support . They likely will someday, but I don't care if they do.

I’ve just noticed that the font list in the iPad apps displays colour fonts in colour. The Windows desktop apps don’t currently do this.

07E1B882-443B-49ED-9F0C-435E623FED2C.jpeg

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

But can it be used and, if so, can it export and remain in color?

5 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

I’ve just noticed that the font list in the iPad apps displays colour fonts in colour. The Windows desktop apps don’t currently do this.

Just now, MikeW said:

But can it be used and, if so, can it export and remain in color?

Not as far as I can see, Mike. I’m guessing that it’s an iOS feature which only affects the display of the controls within an app. So, nothing to get too excited about, but I was interested to note that it’s there.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

14 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

Not as far as I can see, Mike. I’m guessing that it’s an iOS feature which only affects the display of the controls within an app. So, nothing to get too excited about, but I was interested to note that it’s there.

Currently, as regards layout applications, I think only QXP handles the main color font types input through output. I don't think ID handles output at all currently.

1 hour ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

BTW, QXP is now available from the Apple store. Same price as the upgrade from anything price. And as such, one can install on all one's supported devices (so the installation limit is Apple's).

On 10/2/2018 at 10:45 AM, pixelarte said:

Neither Pixelmator or Sketch seem to have support for color fonts. At least I can't find out how to use color fonts in either of them.

FWIW, Pixelmator Pro has just been updated to v 1.2, with some machine learning stuff & other new features. It is currently on sale for ½ off at the Mac App Store ($30 US vs. $60 normally). There is also a free 30 day trial version available from the website.

From the chart at https://www.colorfonts.wtf  both the Pro & regular versions now support both SVG & SBIX fonts, but only on macOS Mojave. It comes with one 'color font' of unspecified type, "Gilbert Color." I am still running High Sierra & although I can use this "Gilbert Color" font with Pixelmator Pro (that I just bought a few hours ago), it behaves just like any other font -- no access that I can see to any of the special color font properties. It also does not appear in Font Book -- I am not entirely sure what to think about that.

I guess upgrading to Mojave will give me more options, but the online help is notably devoid of any info about this. :/

Affinity Photo 

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
On 11/22/2019 at 12:31 PM, domasa said:

Any progress with support OpenType-SVG ?

As this post is (again) half a year old by now I'd really like to renew the question. We're in 2020 now and SVG Fonts (coloured or not) are being offered everywhere by quite a lot of type designers. I'd wish Affinity would take the chance to acknowledge this development head on by making their apps capable of using these fonts as soon as possible.

Why send all those designers who want to create with this not (anymore) so new font technology straight (back) into Adobe's hands again?

I certainly understand when you don't want to include too many (probably exotic) features into an app in order to to avoid it becoming bloated and slow. But then again I personally find the thought of specialized plugins quite intriguing which might offer special features to interested users who then could fine tune their basic app(s) to their respective creative needs.

• 2 months later...

Hi, I was just searching to find out why the custom color font I am trying to use only shows up black/white in Affinity Designer/Publisher (I can see the colors in Font Book / Text Edit).

It looks like they are NOT supported yet? Can anyone confirm?

Just checking as https://www.colorfonts.wtf does list Affinity Designer as supporting SVG fonts. Is there somewhere else on Affinity's sites to see if it is officially supported (just so I can check in the future).

Thanks.

21 minutes ago, Barbasol said:

Hi, I was just searching to find out why the custom color font I am trying to use only shows up black/white in Affinity Designer/Publisher (I can see the colors in Font Book / Text Edit).

It looks like they are NOT supported yet? Can anyone confirm?

Just checking as https://www.colorfonts.wtf does list Affinity Designer as supporting SVG fonts. Is there somewhere else on Affinity's sites to see if it is officially supported (just so I can check in the future).

Thanks.

They are not supported, with the exception of fallback (b/w) rendering. Some svg fonts are designed to be b/w and those work. That website should say Affinity applications have limited support.

6 minutes ago, Lagarto said:

Isn't that an overstatement? Does not then any application supporting fonts (user-defined legacy and/or modern outline types, e.g. Notepad) have limited support for color SVG fonts?  ...

Perhaps. But isn't what you show limited support? 

Which, if we are demonstrating say variable font support, currently Affinity applications (and others) have less to no support?

Unless things have changed in Adobe InDesign and Illustrator in the last couple CC versions, I also classify them as having limited support--but less limited than applications such as your font viewer, Affinity applications et al. This especially is all true of svg fonts that have no fallback glyphs and or use various other fill technology than flat colors.

While I wholly believe words have meaning, to me we are simply disagreeing over a single word's applicability--which then likely applies to my use of limited in the context of ID/AI...

So perhaps I should write ID/AI is (or was) less capable to fully utilize svg fonts than QXP. But then ... 

I really don't have answers re why Affinity applications do what they do, or not do.

I have some svg fonts that only have hi-res bitmaps (and to add, transparency) in the normal glyph locations that will simply not display in any/every application that doesn't provide greater functionality/support for svg fonts, likely vs6 products too. But I'm too lazy and don't care enough to get out of my chair on the porch to take a look. Not till my G&T is finished anyway. 

I'm not much a believer in color fonts anyway. Same with variable fonts, with the exception they provide greater utility to a user. I personally don't care if any application uses either.