You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi

I have JUST come upon a NEW Colour  Font! it is usable in later versions of Adobe products ( It is a joint collab with Mozilla & Adobe) and can be opened and used

as below table. ANY info as to WHEN this Highly important   new font can be at least opened and used in any Affinity products ( DESIGNER First, please!!)  ????

I spent AGES trying to 'see' the colour in a font only to discover I can't. I can see this new Industry it will NEED to be able to create or at least use this as we will be seeing it more and  from this year.

https://www.colorfonts.wtf/

App
  Color fonts Supported formats Comments
Photoshop Y SVG SBIX Since PS CC 2017
Illustrator Y SVG SBIX Since AI CC 2018
Pixelmator Y SBIX Want more? Ask on Twitter
Sketch Y SBIX Have your say! Ask on Twitter
Word 2013+ Mac X SBIX Have your say! Ask on Twitter
InDesign X   Ask on Twitter
Affinity Designer      X   Ask on Twitter

That is sad and many users  unless they have ADOBE products will miss out on them. I am sure that we will be seeing more and more of them in the marketplaces for  sale to other designers and the myriad crafters.  Oh well I shall have to be patient!

Thank you so much for your prompt response! Appreciated.

Angela

I have to wonder how important support for color fonts really will be in the next few years. The 2014 "full story" Pixel Ambacht article linked to on the www.colorfonts page points out several issues that still seem relevant & not fully resolved, particularly the five mentioned near the end of that article introduced with the "Before we embrace them, we should consider:" text.

To some extent, it is a solution looking for a problem, & one that introduces several new problems of its own.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

In cases of multi coloured it can be real time saver if you want to grab attention -even with the first font in colour.. This is a sample from one font set. The designer was gracious enough to update the folder to include an eps and png files for users of non adobe products. This in itself adds time for the designer. Perhaps it will be prudent to watxch for this years releases and uses...

For web pages or electronically transmitted documents it isn't going to draw much attention unless/until it is widely supported by browsers, operating systems, and/or more than a few applications. If they are not mapped to Unicode code points, accessibility & SEO will be compromised. Even if/when that is all true, it may well draw the wrong kind of attention if it results in draining the battery on portable devices and/or unacceptably long download times on slow networks.

Plus, there is still the issue for color fonts that include bitmaps that they must include sufficiently high resolution ones so they scale well to large display sizes, & that designers have essentially no control over their colors or content if they include any of them in their projects.

I'm fairly sure most of this will get sorted out eventually; I just don't see it happening anytime soon. Until then, there are many more important things that need support or improvement in the Affinity apps that will save users a lot more time.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

33 minutes ago, R C-R said:

For web pages or electronically transmitted documents it isn't going to draw much attention unless/until it is widely supported by browsers, operating systems, and/or more than a few applications...

Color fonts as regards browsers is growing and if color isn't supported, the fallback is a non-color version. So they are safe for web usage.

Application will be growing beyond Adobe applications. At least one particular application is soon adding support.

Even so, an application also has to add full support--if one cannot change the colors via reading the font color palette, it is pretty much useless unless the colors the font designer has used likes them. Adobe has gotten around palette support by baking in various colors via stylistic sets that use different colors. Which is both smart and dumb all at the same time.

For print work, without being able to change color makes it all seem useless. I can color layered fonts as pleased. But for an application that will export to html5 or the like (like APub will eventually be able to do), color fonts make most sense.

My two penny's worth of thought.

45 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Color fonts as regards browsers is growing and if color isn't supported, the fallback is a non-color version. So they are safe for web usage.

Except that (as I understand it) not all of these formats include a fallback version, nor will all browsers commonly in current use one even if it is provided.

Basically, as things stand now there are a lot of ways for color fonts to fail & just a few that will produce the desired results.

Affinity Photo 

A lot of useful info here.Thank you so much. At this point in time, them, I will classify this  facility of Font as an Inaccessible font for many people. So i shall see what the W3C ( World Wide Web Consortium)

has to say on this and follow from there. Accessibility especially  on the WEB has been of interest to me since 1998 when I started my research thesis. At that time, Macromedia was around and they immediately implemented changes to their products with their web design software taking priority. I am surprised that Adobe  did not  follow that lead. I am waiting to experience this font through Firefox, which does support t from V.26 as they were a research partner with Adobe on this.

Thank you.

• 1 month later...

Colour fonts By tnViking, March 15, 2017 in Older Feature Requests & Suggestion Posts 

On 8. Februar 2018 at 12:50 PM, Leigh said:

We currently have no plans to support them

Disappointing after over a year. In colour: :(:(:(

On 2/8/2018 at 4:07 AM, LyricsGirl said:

That is sad and many users  unless they have ADOBE products will miss out on them. I am sure that we will be seeing more and more of them in the marketplaces for  sale to other designers and the myriad crafters.  Oh well I shall have to be patient!

Thank you so much for your prompt response! Appreciated.

Angela

The availability is accelerating...Sudtipos (the maker of the font below) has been releasing them this past week (I think there are now 3, maybe 4 available as of today).

This is one of their fonts (3 styles, SVG color format) as displayed in the upcoming QuarkXPress 2018...

capture-001781.png.ede2c4bd67a4010734f28bea8291d411.png

While the above is a rather busy font, the others released are more "subdued."

Just my take on it but I strongly doubt that color fonts will live up to the "next big thing" hype until such time as there is native support built into the 'big four' (or five, if you include Linux) operating system versions that most people actually are using on a day to day basis, so for example not older versions of Windows or the Mac OS unless MS & Apple provide updates to them ... which seems unlikely. Relying on the variability & inefficiency of built-in application level support alone is not going to do it.

Affinity Photo 

Oh, I personally think they are best suited for something like web sites or the HTML5 output from Q or ID. Further, I also think that applies to variable fonts.

However, there are many application capabilities (or even applications) that cannot be utilized on previous OSs regardless of whether it is the macOS or Windows. That is something called progress.

30 minutes ago, MikeW said:

While the above is a rather busy font, the others released are more "subdued."

Máchina looks like it belongs firmly in the "niche" category! I suspect that Ponche would generally be rather more useful.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

9 minutes ago, MikeW said:

That is something called progress.

Call it whatever you like but unless & until it offers significant advantages people actually will want to use on a daily basis, that doesn't matter much. It remains to be seen if or when that will occur, but my gut level feeling is that will not be soon.

Affinity Photo 

Affinity products cannot run on older OSs. They are made to utilize newer OS capabilities. That too is progress no matter the choice of words.  There is no difference between that and those left behind as regards this issue because of the choice to run an older OS. There will always be those who utilize newer technology in order to use particular applications and those who do not. The same applies to advancing capabilities.

Big deal.

While I like the idea of colour fonts, I think they are more fashion than style. It will certainly make billboards and websites jazzier, at least for a while. Then we'll have dimensional fonts, expansive fonts, talking fonts and retina activated fonts, Then its back to the good ole days of symbolic fonts.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 hour ago, MikeW said:

Affinity products cannot run on older OSs. They are made to utilize newer OS capabilities.

But as far as I know none of the OS versions they run on has built-in color font capabilities, so anyone that wants to use them still has to rely on the variability & inefficiency of built-in application level support, not just for themselves but also for anybody else they want to see how they are using them, at least for electronic forms of distribution.

Affinity Photo 

Uh. Sure they do. Just what OS do you think I am using? And if you want some screen shots of Q using color fonts on macOS, I can provide them.

Same with Adobe applications. It's up to the application developers to make it happen on whatever modern OS. 

4 hours ago, MikeW said:

Uh. Sure they do.

From what I read here, native support for the Scalable Vector Graphics format is limited to Windows 10 Anniversary Update, & certain features are still either disallowed or unsupported. I can't find anything definitive about native support for Macs or iOS, just a lot of confusing 'maybes.' So "they" might be something of an overstatement?

Affinity Photo 

You're such a fun naysayer.

SVG support for Windows did happen with the Anniversary update. COLR support (for which I have a hundred such fonts) began with Windows 8.1. I have never really understood Apples OS designations, but SBIX at least began with OSX (prior to Sierra if I recall). QXP supports 3 of 4 color font formats on their respective OSs.

Windows 7 effective end of life has happened, security updates end in a couple years. I could give a hoot about color font application support on it. It's the past, not the future. The same feeling applies to macOS.

I don't really care if you like color fonts, could care less whether Affinity products will ever support them, etc., etc., etc. And frankly, I don't really care whether Affinity applications support them. They likely will someday, but I don't care if they do. At least there are lots of things way ahead of color font support in Affinity applications...like the bugs getting fixed, new capabilities that matter to me, etc., etc., etc.

@MikeW I admire your enthusiasm, it's what drives new things forward I like the creative side of all of this but I wonder what issues might occur when creating Color Fonts and existing fonts. is a Colour Font with a Base font of Arial a new font or just a derivative and how would that stand legally?

R C-R is just being pragmatic, I don't think he wants to quash your bubbly enthusiasm :) It will be interesting to see what creations designers come up with.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 hour ago, firstdefence said:

R C-R is just being pragmatic, I don't think he wants to quash your bubbly enthusiasm :)

I don't think I am saying anything materially different from what was said in the previously mentioned https://www.colorfonts.wtf link: because of the differences in the 4 major color font formats, there will be a transition period during which assuring cross-platform compatibility will be difficult. Also, the considerations mentioned in the 'full story here' link in that page, while somewhat out of date, still are relevant regarding browsers, app level vs. native OS support, font size bloat, & so on.

Affinity Photo 

10 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I don't think I am saying anything materially different from what was said in the previously mentioned https://www.colorfonts.wtf link: because of the differences in the 4 major color font formats, there will be a transition period during which assuring cross-platform compatibility will be difficult. Also, the considerations mentioned in the 'full story here' link in that page, while somewhat out of date, still are relevant regarding browsers, app level vs. native OS support, font size bloat, & so on.

They just can't sit at a table and agree to one format can they, they HAVE to complicate things and make there own strawberry jam.