You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to copy or cut a part of a path/curve???

• 6 months later...
On 1/5/2022 at 4:32 PM, MEB said:

Hi @Andro;
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Thanks for your feedback. This isn't available as you are aware but there's still another way to "replicate" a path that may be 
useful in certain circumstances. Please check the clip below for details: dragging a node over another one in other shape and waiting a couple seconds will copy/mimic that node's properties to the node you are dragging (make sure the cursor switch to the duplicate cursor). Regarding copying path nodes, I suggest you create a new thread (if there isn't one already) in the Feature Request section and add you voice there as it's the first place the developers look for feedback from users. Thanks.

Hi, i tried to replicate this method on iPad and failed. Is there any special pre-condition or flag to be triggered?

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

• 2 months later...
On 8/11/2022 at 2:08 PM, NotMyFault said:

Hi, i tried to replicate this method on iPad and failed. Is there any special pre-condition or flag to be triggered?

Just count nodes - put in the same amount with the Pen tool - select both curves with the Node tool and all the nodes you want to align - drag one onto the blueprint and wait a sec:

image.gif.9dee9d2e02e31353c28fc65f0e163ffa.gif

5 minutes ago, PixelPest said:

Just count nodes - put in the same amount with the Pen tool - (…)

Though it looks magically impressive: Can someone tell me the advantage of this workflow, respectively of the effort to code this option? It appears to be at least not more cumbersome to copy an existing object + delete unwanted nodes, without node counting + rough drawing first.

Also the missing alternative of the option to simply copy selected nodes + paste them as new object appears, in my humble non-coder idea, as a simpler programming solution then this magical feature.

Any hints for what use this magic was developed? … which seems to work some way coincidentally with closed curves:

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Thank you*, yes, it seemed to be indicated in my last trial, too. – But isn't it all rather cumbersome, compared to the (missing) alternative of copy & paste? For what purpose?
*perfect shape rebuild:)!

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

3 hours ago, PixelPest said:

Just count nodes - put in the same amount with the Pen tool - select both curves with the Node tool and all the nodes you want to align - drag one onto the blueprint and wait a sec:

image.gif.9dee9d2e02e31353c28fc65f0e163ffa.gif

Still unable to reproduce  on iPad

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

11 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

Same for me. Works only in the desktop app.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

17 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

3 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Same for me.

Make that (at least) three of us!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 2 weeks later...

Again: wow! Every time I try to do some thing trivial in Affinity Photo or Designer, I end up Googling how to do it, ending up on this forum, only to find out that such trivial things are just not possible. Not once or twice, but every - single - time I get stuck doing simple things, like indeed, copying one single letter within a complex compound path. Wouldn't even have to think about it about how to do it in Illustrator, completely straightforward. 

I hate to break it to Affinity, but I'm going to take my loss on purchasing licenses for Photo, Designer and Publisher, and going back to the dark side. I truly hate Adobe and their greediness (Illustrator user since version 1.1 here, circa 1986), and their bloated software isn't even that good ever since they started hiring cheap engineers abroad. But they do have the basics covered, and don't create funky features no one needs or understands, like shown in this thread.

Affinity products have some really nice features, and I love the general snappiness of their suite. But they're not for professional use, period. I hope they will someday make it happen, but for now: totally fine if time is not of essence, but not suited for professional workflows with clients breathing down your neck. 

On 11/11/2022 at 4:00 AM, Zmip said:

Again: wow! Every time I try to do some thing trivial in Affinity Photo or Designer, I end up Googling how to do it, ending up on this forum, only to find out that such trivial things are just not possible. Not once or twice, but every - single - time I get stuck doing simple things, like indeed, copying one single letter within a complex compound path. Wouldn't even have to think about it about how to do it in Illustrator, completely straightforward. 

I hate to break it to Affinity, but I'm going to take my loss on purchasing licenses for Photo, Designer and Publisher, and going back to the dark side. I truly hate Adobe and their greediness (Illustrator user since version 1.1 here, circa 1986), and their bloated software isn't even that good ever since they started hiring cheap engineers abroad. But they do have the basics covered, and don't create funky features no one needs or understands, like shown in this thread.

Affinity products have some really nice features, and I love the general snappiness of their suite. But they're not for professional use, period. I hope they will someday make it happen, but for now: totally fine if time is not of essence, but not suited for professional workflows with clients breathing down your neck. 

STANDING OVATION

+1 to a simple "copy selected nodes only" menu option, if not just defaulting to that behavior when the node tool and one or more nodes are selected. That's a big classic Illustrator behavior that has a lot of utility and saves a lot of time versus the workarounds.

That being said, that drag-and-wait feature is kinda neat, I'll definitely try and find an opportunity to use it.