You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

A PDF exported using the PDF (for export) option should open in CD fine with some caveats when gradients and (some) transparencies are used. As long as the PDF doesn't contain a gradient that has been rasterized, it should work fine in CD. It appears the Screen transparency is not functioning in AD properly and so it comes in as a flat color into CD.

AI is often a problem using a PDF as a transport vehicle. Or, well, EPS made from a non-Adobe application unless it can write to an older format (which AD cannot do).

As EPS cannot contain transparency, EPS is at least out as a transport medium to either AI or CD and retain transparency.

Gradients from AD can be an issue in AI, but generally open in CD fine. AI can see them as an unknown shading type depending on the PDF export type. Heck, maybe all of them.

AI is the absolute worst application to open a PDF anyway. Adobe will tell you the same. You can try SVG into both AI and CD.

Really, if the goal is to exchange work from AD to either application, why use AD at all? This would apply mostly to AI. It simply doesn't play nicely with non-Adobe applications. I do generate art in another application when I need to return an AI file to a client. I generally stop drawing in my chosen application before effects are needed, then port that to AI to finish off in.

2 hours ago, pixelinkmedia said:

I need to export to ESP from AD.

I knew you were going to say that, ;) 

It's amazing in this age of digital media that we have all of these issues with file types, it needs some serious reviewing and restructuring, I can't believe how clunky and duck taped this all is. There should be some sort of standards because as far as I can see its desperate for it. All of these proprietary file types just make things overly complicated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_graphics_file_formats

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 hour ago, firstdefence said:

I knew you were going to say that, ;) 

It's amazing in this age of digital media that we have all of these issues with file types, it needs some serious reviewing and restructuring, I can't believe how clunky and duck taped this all is. There should be some sort of standards because as far as I can see its desperate for it. All of these proprietary file types just make things overly complicated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_graphics_file_formats

No... I was typing on my phone and you know how the phone wants to try and interpret words for you. I hate that.

I knew I wanted to say EPS, but got ESP without double-checking

2 hours ago, MikeW said:

As EPS cannot contain transparency, EPS is at least out as a transport medium to either AI or CD and retain transparency.

Gradients from AD can be an issue in AI, but generally open in CD fine. AI can see them as an unknown shading type depending on the PDF export type. Heck, maybe all of them.

AI is the absolute worst application to open a PDF anyway. Adobe will tell you the same. You can try SVG into both AI and CD.

Really, if the goal is to exchange work from AD to either application, why use AD at all? This would apply mostly to AI. It simply doesn't play nicely with non-Adobe applications. I do generate art in another application when I need to return an AI file to a client. I generally stop drawing in my chosen application before effects are needed, then port that to AI to finish off in.

I get what you are saying... BUT... I don't have Illustrator anymore because I HATE abode CC and their ridiculous PR/Support and bugs.

So, I want to produce vector artwork that will play nice with all vector applications.

I figured EPS is the most standard, but knowing it doesn't save to true vector with simulated gradients/transparency I guess I will have to try SVG now

Okay.... SVG isn't working either.

So, exporting gradients and transparencies to PDF, EPS or SVG all converts the gradient/transpar. to bitmaps.

Are you kidding me.

So, how can I make a vector file that is supported by AI, CDR or any other vector app?

I can export EPS from AD - then reopen in AD... works fine.

If you do this with AI it is the same... it can open its own exported EPS file.

I had the same problem when I had Adobe Illustrator. Exported EPS didn't always import properly into CDR or InkScape

You mean after 30+ years of vector software being on the market.... software companies can't do better than this?

So, basically... if I want to create vector "STOCK: graphic templates that will work inside any vector program... tough luck!!

AI's EPS format can (by default) save a copy of the AI file in it. That is what is used when AI reopens its own EPS files, not the EPS portion. The same applies to AI's PDFs...it saves a copy of the AI file into it and uses it, not the PDF portion, when you reopen its PDFs.

Adobe doesn't share its file format. CorelDRAW does the best with AI native files. But it too can export to AI format that AI or other applications can balk at. CD is also about the best for EPS.

Go holler at Adobe to share its file format (which changes with each revision in little to significant ways).

Vector stock artists can be, depending on where the stock items are sold, simply dependent on AI. There's no way around it as regards EPS and AI files.

I don't know the makup of the files you are producing. If you want to share one, either attach it here or consider uploading it to dropbox or the like and sending me a PM to download it. I would be happy to take a look.

Mike

ALL I am testing with is a square with a gradient with one end having a transparency.

So, all the apps handle the grad/trans differently.

If I create my test in CDR and try to open it in AD.... the grad/trans is a bitmap

And visa versa... AD (export to EPS) opened in CDR produces an image

I realize this is not specific to AD.... I just with all players in this market would have one standard format.

This is a bummer.

Side note.... the only way I can make an EPS compliant with all vector apps is to keep all basic vector objects and do not use gradients or transparencies.

So, shadows would have to be a grey object and not an Outer Shadow (like in AD) - Drop shadow in the industry

Basically... keep it real basic with single colors for all objects

Repeat, an EPS cannot contain transparency.

You can create your CD file with a gradient+transparency (but not all transparency types CD is capable of), export to to AI format and AI will read in both the gradient and transparency properly.

The same CD file, if export to PDF, can be read into AI...but it will have several clip masks. Once released, the gradient+transparency will be live, though.

Try to open that AI export from CD in AD, though, and it will be a blank page because AD can only read the PDF portion of an AI file and CD does not create the PDF portion.

Try to open the PDF in AD, and while the gradient is live, the transparency is lost.

There is no magic bullet to file types from one application to another.

Which is why I use AI if AI compatibility is needed. While I can generally use CD and XDP, I still need to check the file in AI at best, finish off in AI at the worst. I am glad my perpetual license of CS6 will still run on Windows, but at some point even it will not run. I'll have to make some hard choices at that point.

10 hours ago, pixelinkmedia said:

No... I was typing on my phone and you know how the phone wants to try and interpret words for you. I hate that.

I knew I wanted to say EPS, but got ESP without double-checking

Lol! I was playing on the mistake ESP (Extra Sensory Perception) ala being psychic. I'm just looking at a load of vector apps to see how compatible they all are... it's not looking good :|

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions