You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

This should be usually more dependent on image document setup and placements. Did you just opened an image or did you defined first a document and then placed the image on that? The latter should allow you to position and transform the image the way you want on a document canvas.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

6 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

This should be usually more dependent on image document setup and placements. Did you just opened an image or did you defined first a document and then placed the image on that? The latter should allow you to position and transform the image the way you want on a document canvas.

I did not define a new document. It's an image I opened and is 2700 x 1567 pixels that I usually print first on the top-half of a page, then on the bottom-half. In PS, I can simply drag the image in the print setup to the top or bottom half of the page; 8.5x11 page size, standard portrait orientation. I suppose I could create a new document with pixel dimensions of 8.5x11, then drag and position the image on this new document (as you've suggested), but what a PITA. I'm surprised this isn't easier in AP.

AP's printing panel is much related to the by the printer driver offered options here. If your printer driver allows it, try to customize and alter it's layout settings for 2 pages per sheet etc. and see if that maybe does what you are looking for then, without defining a new document.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

1 hour ago, v_kyr said:

AP's printing panel is much related to the by the printer driver offered options here. If your printer driver allows it, try to customize and alter it's layout settings for 2 pages per sheet etc. and see if that maybe does what you are looking for then, without defining a new document.

Thanks for your help and suggestions. My printer driver--Epson R2880--though it will allow an N-up page layout style, still doesn't allow me to position the image on the page. Hey, it was worth a shot. ;) I'll just use other software for printing this image.

couldn't you use invisible elements to keep a photo asymmetrically placed? i.e. a box with no fill or stroke?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

No, but you can add canvas area to get asymmetric printing. If you print A2, do Resize Canvas and group all and move this all to desired position, scaling if necessary. Of course if you have objects that go beyond the original canvas things may get hairy as you need to mask them away.

I certainly would like to have option to move image up a centimetre or two in print dialog. This would be much preferred method.

17 hours ago, Alan9940 said:

I did not define a new document. It's an image I opened and is 2700 x 1567 pixels that I usually print first on the top-half of a page, then on the bottom-half. In PS, I can simply drag the image in the print setup to the top or bottom half of the page; 8.5x11 page size, standard portrait orientation. I suppose I could create a new document with pixel dimensions of 8.5x11, then drag and position the image on this new document (as you've suggested), but what a PITA. I'm surprised this isn't easier in AP.

Why do you consider this a PITA? It is just a different way to accomplish what you want to do, which is to place the image at a particular location on an 8.5x11 inch page, right?

There is no good reason this has to be done in a print setup dialog rather than on the canvas itself. So just open a new document set to the desired 8.5x11 inch canvas size -- there is even a preset for that -- & use the File > Place command to drop the image file on the canvas. You can move or resize the placed image however you want with the Move Tool. As long as it remains an "(Image)" layer it will retain its original pixel resolution, so as long as you don't resize it to substantially larger than its original DPI you should get a nice, high quality print.

Personally, I find this much easier, more flexible, & generally far superior to having to futz with settings in a print dialog, which is going to be printer specific & thus something of a PITA I would rather avoid when possible.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7