4dimage

AD export to PDF, text with font Roboto Light is destroyed

This is my first post. I hope this is the right place to report the following bug.

System: Windows 7 SP1, German

Version: Affinity Designer 1.6.2.97

---

I often use Roboto Light as a base font for web design. I did a screen design using several art and box texts with font Roboto Light. In AD everything looked fine. Also when exporting the screenshots to JPG or TIFF. But when i tried to export to PDF (all PDF presets) all the texts that use Roboto Light are completely broken showing messed up chars.

I attached a simple AD testfile and the exported PDF/X-3 in which I reproduced the failure.

bug_text-roboto-light-pdf-export_1-1.afdesign

bug_text-roboto-light-pdf-export_1-1_x-3.pdf

JPG export directly from AD:

bug_text-roboto-light-pdf-export_1-1_jpg-export-from-ad.thumb.jpg.f86e128239748ed5ba6edcb054fb8ff8.jpg

Screenshot PDF/X-3 opended in Adobe Acrobat Pro DC:

bug_text-roboto-light-pdf-export_1-1_screenshot-acrobat.thumb.jpg.e015096edb927d76743f927046a0146b.jpg

If i check the PDF properties with Acrobat Pro DC i can see that all fonts seem to be embedded with subsets. Choosing another font (e.g. Arial, Roboto Regular, Droid Sans, ...) will export all these texts correctly.

acrobat-pdf-properties-fonts.jpg.1efdb3e2ed0d35c908e02aa572eb6ab1.jpg

Is this an encoding / subsetting problem?

I have this font installed in Windows:

ROBOTO-LIGHT_1.TTF

roboto-light-windows-installed-font.jpg.947cd06c873344d44c7de7d039cf5196.jpg

Hi Chris,

thanks for your reply.

I got the same error with the public Beta.

1) I installed the latest beta 1.6.3.99 and exported the AD testdocument. The effect was stil the same - text with Roboto Light was broken in the resulting PDF document.

2) I deleted all Roboto fonts from my Windows, downloaded all fonts again directly from google fonts and installed them. Then i opened the AD testdocument with the Beta version and exported again to PDF. The same error occurs with Roboto Light.

---

Then i had an idea!

In the fonts panel i switched the language explicitley to German.

fonts-panel-switch-language.JPG.d99914a39cbfc35e3b6d716ea8331b04.JPG

Since then the error with the testdocument is gone!

I went back to the release version 1.6.2.97 and now the error is also gone. Now even new documents that use Roboto Light export correctly to PDF. And this works regardless which language i now choose in the fonts panel. Very strange, maybe some font caching effect... ?

But - I also tried to export my orginal webdesign in which i detected the PDF error first. With this document now all Roboto Fonts are exported correctly but another font in the upper left logo is stil broken. In this case the font for the logo is "Univers 55" (Type 1). I also typed in the two words again. Same effect. Changing the font family to Arial or Roboto solves the problem. But it's a logo and has to use exactly "Univers 55".

The original view in AD is this:

webdesign-ad_2.jpg.5a7dacd9371c045ca110d5126e201e82.jpg

But the exported PDF looks like this:

webdesign-acrobat_2.jpg.b440eaa4f32213cf8519893ec9e74e64.jpg

The same error occurs in the latest Beta 1.6.3.99.

I guess there is a serious bug. Maybe from character encoding? On one hand it's strange enough that switching the language in the fonts panel once (first time after installation) will "solve" some font problems in general. On the other hand it seems to be unpredictable which fonts will stil produce errors at the end.

Don't missunderstand - but Affinity Designer as the WYSIWYG "Editor" in which i created the text shows my design correctly. So i must be shure, that the exported PDF looks exactly the same. Otherwise the PDF export feature is rather useless. Imagine, i work on a design for hours and days and at the end i get errors trying to export a PDF that is meant to present the artwork to my client.

Not really helpfull, isn't it ?

Any news regarding this problem? It's killing me... And yes, @4dimage it's related to font caching, I found some help in other topics, but this does not solve the problem fully on Windows. The idea is to clear the windows font cache. There are some changes, but some characters are not working. On Mac works well though. We need a solution for windows users.

Branding, Identity Design, UI/UX Design.    |    https://whitex.design

Have you tried exporting all text as curves (you find the option under the 'more' button of the PDF presets -- not a perfect solution, butnit might help you, getting files out until there's a fix for this issue.

22 hours ago, Jens Krebs said:

Have you tried exporting all text as curves (you find the option under the 'more' button of the PDF presets -- not a perfect solution, butnit might help you, getting files out until there's a fix for this issue.

Hi Jens,

of course it's possible to convert text to path. But this is not the intention of PDF (font embedding is THE core feature of PDF).

Converting all text to pathes needs timeconsuming massive extra work (copy orginal editable texts, hide it from rendering, show only converted path-texts, ...), because e.g. you have to do this after every change before creating a new PDF to send to your customer for approval.

AND it produces a lot of extra data in your AD file.

AND - the most important disadvantage -  real text from embedded fonts is rendered and printed at highest quality with all features. Converted "text" is only graphics, which is at least renderd poor when viewed in Acrobat.

There has to be a stable and predictable basic solution for any text i create in AD.

---

By the way - the encoding problem occurs again. Nothing was solved after my first tests...

So i made a quick test again with the same text. One example in AD and the same text in Illustrator CS6.

This is a screenshot from AD edit view, where i created a simple box text in an artboard:

test-ad_1-1_editor.thumb.jpg.419420b5fd74531408bcc7bfea0d3680.jpg

After exporting it from AD with the PDF/X-3:2003 preset (no manual pref changes) and open it in Acrobat Pro DC the text is completely broken:

test-ad_1-1_export-x3_screen-acrobat.thumb.jpg.30869d608bf66ecb8715e3e4acb3ce64.jpg

If i do the same with Illustrator CS6 the exported PDF/X-3 result looks EXACTLY the same as the original Illustrator editor document:

test-illustrator_1-1_export-x3_screen-acrobat.thumb.jpg.3734b17e6f3b7965bb4cf625d7af0a5a.jpg

I stil guess it's an encoding bug in AD (Windows) export.

I'm no PDF expert - but you can see some differences. Focus on the font embedding tab in the Acrobat document properties dialogue. AD uses "Identity-H" (whatever this means). Illustrator uses "Ansi", which seems not to be logical, because the text contains German mutated vowels and special characters?

Converting all text to paths takes exactly ONE mouse click in the PDF export settings of Affinity and you don't have to change ANYTHING in your file.

Also, please note that I said, that this is not an ideal solution, it was just my attempt to help you with a workaround, until the problem has been resolved.

7 minutes ago, Jens Krebs said:

Converting all text to paths takes exactly ONE mouse click in the PDF export settings of Affinity and you don't have to change ANYTHING in your file.

Also, please note that I said, that this is not an ideal solution, it was just my attempt to help you with a workaround, until the problem has been resolved.

Jens, sorry you are absolutely right.

I didn't mention that export setting.

But meanwhile i'm so frustrated about all the "little" bugs in Designer. I really spent a lot of time with Affinity Designer during 4 customer projects in the last months. And there are a lot of little things to fix or optimize. Unreliable PDF export is just one of them. E.g. the whole text style section ("Textstile") is a m... compared to Illustrator (not much better) or InDesign. Or after working hours in a least more complex document (with several symbols and constraints), it's often better to restart the Application when even selecting an object needs 1-2 seconds to execute.

I'm searching for a reliable professional replacement for Adobes crappy CC software since years now. Affinity Products look fine and do some great stuff. But before rollout the next "fancy" iPad app, it would be helpfull to make all the existing basic functionality really stable. I guess thousands of professional users (print and web) would appreciate that.

Or maybe i'm just to oldschool ;)

Hi there

I'm sorry to hear about your PDF export problems. I have downloaded your document and installed the font. Using beta 109, I export to PDF/X-3 (using default settings) and I seem to get exactly as the original afdesign document?

Have you tried beta version 109?

Many thanks for your help

Chris

Hi Chris,

i tried the latest public beta 1.6.5.109 with my last AD test document. The Text with Roboto Light ist stil broken in the exported PDF. Additionally i created a completely new AD document and typed some German letters. As long as i use "Roboto Light" the error stil occurs. As soon as i change the font to "Arial" the resulting PDF ist ok. I tried switching the text language to none or German or English. Same error with Roboto Light.

Attached you will find my latest AD test file and the two test PDF exports. And the currently installed Roboto fontset (downloaded from Google fonts some month ago) from my Windows 7 Professional system (SP1).

ad-beta-109_1-1.afdesign

ad-beta-109_1-1_roboto-light.pdf

ad-beta-109_1-1_arial.pdf

roboto-fonts.zip

Fonts on Windows were always a pain in the end of the back. ;)

De-install your Roboto-Light and get the newest version directly from Google Fonts.

The only difference I saw is, that your Roboto-Light is version 2.001151; 2014. The one I installed right away from Google Fonts is version 2.137; 2017

EDIT: The first Roboto you attached was in fact an older version.

Edited by Joachim_L
Correction

9 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

De-install your Roboto-Light and get the newest version directly from Google Fonts.

Good advice! That solved the problem reported in this thread.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iPadOS 13.3 (iPad Air 2)

@4dimage Apart from the fact, that spacing is wrong, your text is perfectly correct, but a bit encrypted. :D Just get two letters backwards to get the correct text.

D <=> F
i <=> k
e <=> g
s <=> u

I never saw something like this before.

3 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

I never saw something like this before.

I don’t remember the details, but I have certainly seen something like that before.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iPadOS 13.3 (iPad Air 2)

sorry guys, but i don't think it's about Windows or font versions. I stil believe it's a bug in AD export itself.

To not allways rely on Adobe Indesign or Illustrator, i made the same test with Scribus and exported a PDF/X-3:2002, which was instantly correct and passed the preflight test in Acrobat Pro.

Nothing has changed on my Windows system. So why does this open source software do the job like expected and AD not ?

scribus-test_1-1.sla

scribus-test_1-1-pdfx3-export.pdf

scribus-test_1-1_editor_screenshot.JPG

scribus-test_1-1_pdfx3_acrobat_screenshot.JPG

It does seem odd that the Affinity apps export the text as CID-keyed. As far as I’m aware, this is really only needed for accessing the huge character sets in Chinese, Japanese and Korean (CJK) fonts.

Alfred online2long.gif

Hello!

I still have the same problem, also with german text.

Gotham bold = displayed right in pdf
Gotham book = strange font characters in pdf

To convert the text in curves isn't really a solution for ever. Does someone have any new information about this bug? 

001_GothamBook_pdf_fehler.PNG

002_GothamBook_pdf_fehler.PNG