You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello

I need some explanations on macro recording. I am a new user (I registered the software a couple of days ago)

I would like to record in a macro two simple operations starting from a camera picture of about 21 megapixels: a Bicubic resize to 1024 pixels and a Filter/Sharpen/Clarity of 0.3

All goes well during recording but when I play the macro to a new image the Clarity applied is 1.5 and not 0.3 as recorded.

So if I compare the final image obtained with the macro with the image obtained with manual operation, I don't get the same result....

Can someone explain this behaviour?

I've encountered a similar behaviour with other recordable option panels here, namely that after recording during a playback the default values slightly differ from the inital setup and recorded ones.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

7 hours ago, SentieriNatura said:

I made some other tests and it seems that filter values, stored during the recording, are related to image size and change if you run the macro on a differente size image (??).

Filters like the Clarity one allow you to set a pixel radius value. Consequently, the effect will vary depending on the pixel dimensions of the layer the filter is applied to, not because the radius in the macro actually changes but because visually the result will be much more apparent when the radius is large relative to the image dimensions than when it is small.

For filters like Clarity & several others, you can set the macro to expose one or more filter parameters to the user at run time using the "Settings" icon as described in the Macro Panel help topic, & demonstrated in the Affinity Photo - Macros video (beginning at about the 3:15 mark). 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Ok, I understand the behaviour... but consider this scenario:

Open a large camera image (5000 px on the long side) and start recording a macro:

Step 1: Bicubic resize to 1024 px

Step 2: set Filter/Sharpen/Clarity 0.3

Stop recording and save the macro.

Now open a new image and run the macro

Tha Macro resizes the image to 1024 and then applies a Clarity with value 1.5.

Probably (?) because layer dimensions are evaluated at start of the macro.

But at step 2 the image is already resized and the Clarity value should be 0.3 as recorded.

Don't know if I was able to expose my problem correctly, hope so...

31 minutes ago, SentieriNatura said:

Step 1: Bicubic resize to 1024 px

Do you mean you set this step to resize the document to 1024px x 1024px or something else? If you did this it will distort any document you run the macro on that does not have a square aspect ratio. So for example a camera image that is not 5000px x 5000px will be resized disproportionally, with the longer dimension being reduced more than the shorter one.

42 minutes ago, SentieriNatura said:

Tha Macro resizes the image to 1024 and then applies a Clarity with value 1.5.

If you used the Filter > Sharpen > Clarity filter (rather than the live filter version) how do you know what radius that filter applied to the document? Remember, this value is an absolute pixel one, not one proportional to the image size.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

It often has nothing to do with document (re)sizes at all here, for example open an image ...

1. start macro recording
  2. apply a frequency separation to the image, setup the radius to 3 px
  3. stop recording
  4. on the macro panel now use the option setting panel for the recorded step, the popup shows as default there radius 9 px instead of the 3 px

... here every initial setup radius is always multiplied by a factor of three, aka 2 px -> 6 px, 3 px -> 9 px ... 10 px -> 30 px ... and so on.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

cAnother example:

1. Open a large image (for example a GH5 image of 5138 x 3888 pixels) but any large image will be OK
2. Start macro recording
3. Resize proportionally to a classic 1024 x 768 pixels
4. Set Filter/Sharpen/Clarity to 0.3
5. Stop, save the macro and close the image without saving
6. Open the same image 
7. Play the macro stopping at the second step to inspect the Clarity value
8. You will se in the dialog a value of 1.5

If you compare the results obtained with the macro and the same operations performed manually you will see a clear difference.

50 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

... here every initial setup radius is always multiplied by a factor of three, aka 2 px -> 6 px, 3 px -> 9 px ... 10 px -> 30 px ... and so on.

Actually, it is weirder than that: in your example after your step 4, reset the popup to 3 px, apply it to the file, set the step to expose the radius to the user, & save the macro. Undo the macro & run the macro from the Library panel -- the starting value is 3 px, just as one would expect. But, close that file & open another one that is a different size & run the macro on it. The default could be anything. O.o

Affinity Photo 

18 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Actually, it is weirder than that: in your example after your step 4, reset the popup to 3 px, apply it to the file, set the step to expose the radius to the user, & save the macro. Undo the macro & run the macro from the Library panel -- the starting value is 3 px, just as one would expect. But, close that file & open another one that is a different size & run the macro on it. The default could be anything. O.o

Jip strange, certain things here during macro recording don't behave as you would usually expect and sometimes you can't be sure at all that the initially values you've setup, are also then those which are  finally used during the macro playback.

1 hour ago, SentieriNatura said:

cAnother example:

4. Set Filter/Sharpen/Clarity to 0.3
5. Stop, save the macro and close the image without saving
6. Open the same image 
7. Play the macro stopping at the second step to inspect the Clarity value

If I just record the clarity filter (setup initially to 0.3) here standalone (steps 4 to 7) that seems to work right. Also when the macro is saved and afterwards loaded and run on the same reloaded image it has been recorded on (value is here the initial setup 0.3).