You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

JPEG Export Stuck ...... HELP!!!

So this is my first time with affinity designer and my design is a 52 by 24 feet banner. I dont know if its because of the filters or is it my system but the export is stuck it never showed any progress.... I have read older queries on the forum and found that many people have faced this issue.

any suggestions are welcome on how to fix this... but i was hoping if someone (those who have experience with the software) would export my file into jpeg (300dpi) and send me.... its only 6mbs.

I have attached the file.... please if someone could HELP.
I want it ASAP. 

Thanks.

Banner 2018 - Copy.afdesign

Banner 2018 - Copy.afdesign

Welcome here, AD user.

1. Your design is about 632 inch by 295 inch / 16 m by 7.5 m at 300 dpi.

2. You are trying to export a 17 GPixel JPEG file, which is not possible. You could try to export TIFF.

The quickest solution: Print the original file directly or ask the printing company to do this (with one of the trial apps).

• Staff

In addition to what Oval has said you really shouldn't be making a 52x24ft banner at 300 dpi. That is a pixel size of 189,720 x 88,560; JPG only supports up to 65,535 × 65,535 pixels so what you are trying to do is physically impossible for that file format.

I would also suggest you properly speak to your printers about your needs as 300dpi is only needed for items that are inspected up close (as in photographs or pictures in books). Images that are to be viewed from a distance can be as low as 72dpi!

16 minutes ago, Sean P said:

Images that are to be viewed from a distance can be as low as 72dpi!

You could probably go even lower. An item printed at 72ppi can be viewed from as little as 4ft away without your being able to differentiate the pixels, and no one is normally going to view a 52ft by 24ft banner at that short distance.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Since JPEG only supports a maximum of 65,535 × 65,535 pixels, shouldn't the Affinity apps pop up an error message or the like if users try to export anything larger than that to a JPEG file instead of trying to write the file & never finishing?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

@R C-R

This thread is remarkably similar to the current one.  In that thread I remarked that "The export screen within AP says that the maximum size allowed within the jpg format is 65500 px." so there is a warning, albeit not a pop-up one!

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

48 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Since JPEG only supports a maximum of 65,535 × 65,535 pixels, shouldn't the Affinity apps pop up an error message or the like if users try to export anything larger than that to a JPEG file instead of trying to write the file & never finishing?

Well, Affinity does generate a message. If the user can read and does not want to export the smaller file, he could simply cancel the export box or/and change his strange settings.

HTH

4 hours ago, emmrecs01 said:

In that thread I remarked that "The export screen within AP says that the maximum size allowed within the jpg format is 65500 px." so there is a warning, albeit not a pop-up one!

I have been testing the current Mac beta versions of AP & AD. The warning in either looks like this:

5a7b6da06a90d_apbetawarning.png.d46656fcc421a51abdedbee052688e03.png

Although it is obscured, I assume it says the output will be scaled to fit. But that does not happen. Instead, if I click the Export button, the "Exporting" progress bar remains on screen indefinitely, memory use by the app surges, & until I click the Cancel button in the progress bar my iMac becomes sluggish & almost unusable.

Consequently, I think what should happen instead is the Export button should be greyed out until or unless the user reduces the dimensions in the export window to the maximum allowed or less.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff
10 hours ago, R C-R said:

I have been testing the current Mac beta versions of AP & AD. The warning in either looks like this:

5a7b6da06a90d_apbetawarning.png.d46656fcc421a51abdedbee052688e03.png

Although it is obscured, I assume it says the output will be scaled to fit. But that does not happen. Instead, if I click the Export button, the "Exporting" progress bar remains on screen indefinitely, memory use by the app surges, & until I click the Cancel button in the progress bar my iMac becomes sluggish & almost unusable.

Consequently, I think what should happen instead is the Export button should be greyed out until or unless the user reduces the dimensions in the export window to the maximum allowed or less.

Thanks for that R C-R, I'll get this passed on to development and see what they say.