You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi, I am very new to Affinity Designer (Mac). How can I open a new document (or all documents) and have the color palette open to color swatches? As it is now it opens to Grayscale.

I have opened some Illustrator CS5 files and they all opened very well.

41 minutes ago, asan said:

Hi toltec, thanks, sadly no it does not stick:(

That's odd. It works on my machine, Windows 10.

I think we need a Mac user :S

You could try setting a colour palette then going Edit > Defaults > Save.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

On the Mac (under El Capitan here) that bloody AD color fields palette always defaults to the Grayscale swatches and doesn't remember it's "last used" switch setting.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

6 hours ago, v_kyr said:

On the Mac (under El Capitan here) that bloody AD color fields palette always defaults to the Grayscale swatches and doesn't remember it's "last used" switch setting.

Same under High Sierra here.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

This has come up before in this thread

While it is setting a default document palette, it's not selecting in the Swatches tab.  I create a Custom Palette, set it as default for CMYK/8 and then created a new CMYK/8 document but swatches showed still showed Greys.  However clicking on the Swatches drop down, my custom palette had been set as a document palette and was shown at the top of the list, i just had to select it. 

So the problem is really with Affinity not auto selecting the palette, which apparently is whole different issue and logged with Dev for improvement.

Windows seems to remember the last used palete, you can even close all open documents and the colour swatch will still show what swatch you had last used.  Do that on a Mac and the swatch will switch back to Grey with no open documents.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...