You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm trying to simply make a tapered line that ends at a sharp point and it's proving oddly difficult. This is where I'm at now after searching, but I still cannot get the tip of the two lines to be sharp. Further, I cannot get the Pressure area to do what I want. I figured I'd be able to just pull all the way down on the lefthand side, but couldn't, so I added a node there and just did the best I could. Here are some pics to help...

Screen Shot 2018-02-06 at 4.18.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-06 at 4.17.51 PM.png

In the second screenshot, it looks like two different pressure curves, one for each of two different selected lines, are displayed in the pressure curve window. Is that supposed to be possible? I can't find a way to do that with any Mac desktop Affinity app, beta or retail.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Just now, dozens said:

That's actually not what I'm wanting. I'm wanting the line to be wide at one end and a very sharp point at the tip. Perhaps I should just make a triangle shape?

Alt/option click on one end node in the pressure window to allow adjusting it independently of the other end node. Moving that node all the way down will create a sharp point at that end only.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 minutes ago, JimmyJack said:

Yours should have worked too. I wonder what the problem was.

Can you (or anybody) explain what looks like a double curve in the screenshot?

Affinity Photo 

41 minutes ago, JimmyJack said:

It's just one curve profile.

Thanks! For some reason I was getting confused not by the white line at the top but by there being no dots in the end nodes. I know that it doesn't make sense to be confused by that, but that's what happened anyway. :$

Affinity Photo 

But why are there nodes shown on the white box (lower left, upper left) at all?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

16 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

But why are there nodes shown on the white box (lower left, upper left) at all?

The profile immediately goes from full width to zero width on the left, as shown in the small profile preview next to the "Pressure:" text. I would expect the same behavior if the leftmost end node was just brought down to zero to begin with & the node immediately below it was not used, but instead with the profile as shown I sometimes get some weird artifacts as the node immediately to the right of those two leftmost nodes is dragged to the right.

Affinity Photo 

This white-box-outlines are a good example of some leaks of the global GUI of AP: Different areas are often not well separated enough from others. When i see videos from PS, the GUI there is much clearer: All elements have a kind of border or divider and you get with ONE VIEW what is what. In AP i have often to look twice or longer to get what is meaning. Its a little bit ironic that especially apps for graphic/UI it self looks a little bit cheap. (symbols are great, but the rest does not look well-thought, more as libreoffice than a masterpiece of GUI).

(Do not get me wrong: Libreoffice is great, just the GUI is cheap / unnecessary confusing.

BTW: Pressure-presets works only for the current doc, would be nice to have them global.

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!