You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Modify shade pattern already defined

If I apply a shade to an object via the  shade tool on the left toolbar, I can define colors, direction, add passages and so on.

But if I have to edit that shade fill in a second moment, if I select the shade tool and i click the object, there's no way to view the already defined shade effect to edit it: I can always only apply a brand new shade if I make a double-click, or I drag the instrument on the object. NO WAY with a single click or similar to edit the shadow already in.

In the help says that selecting the object I would see the shade I've made, but it isn't so.

Am I mistaking something, or is not possible to edit an already defined shadow effect?

s.jpg

Hi, 1.6.1.3

applied the gradient via the tools, the continued editing the project in other layers. Then I wanted to edit the gradient color and inclination. There was NO WAY of selecting it and showing the shade axis.

I had to apply a brand new gradient.

You need to add a Fill layer and then apply the gradient to that layer

Then you will be able to adjust it

Goto

Layer > New Fill Layer

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

3 hours ago, carl123 said:

You need to add a Fill layer and then apply the gradient to that layer

Then you will be able to adjust it

Slightly off topic & I don't know if this also applies to the Windows version but with the retail or beta Mac version, you can't select a Fill layer on the canvas with the Move, Gradient, or any other tool. The only way to select it is on the Layers panel, but once that is done, any pre-applied gradient can be modified using the Gradient tool, just like in the gif @haakoo included  for shapes.

2 hours ago, haakoo said:

You simply added a layer and it will be a pixel layer.

On this layer gradients work only once or overwrites the previous(May the devs correct me if I'm wrong)

How could it be otherwise? Anything done directly on a pixel layer overwrites anything previously there. So in this respect, the Gradient tool is just like the Paint Brush, Flood Fill, or any other tool that alters the pixels of a pixel layer. IOW, anything done directly to a pixel layer (as opposed to applying a live filter or adjustment layer or fx to it) is a destructive operation.

So, since a gradient applied to a Fill layer can be modified, but destructive changes like erasing or painting on it also can be done ... it is as if a Fill layer includes a single property of an object layer but otherwise behaves like a pixel layer ... or something. :/  

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

28 minutes ago, resunoiz said:

the problem is that if I use a fill layer, it applies to ALL DOCUMENT extension.

In this respect, a Fill layer is like any other layer: move it down in the Layers panel & it will only be visible where no layer above it contains visible content. You can also erase or mask part of it in the same way you would do for a pixel layer.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7