alecmarcus

Cannot Save: "Save failed because you do not have permission to create a file in that location."

7 minutes ago, STANDILSTAN said:

Hello, the solution was to disable fonts, except of the necessary system fonts.

I had several thousand fonts running..!

I believe it will also help you.

STAN

The following FAQ has more information :)

1 hour ago, STANDILSTAN said:

Hello, the solution was to disable fonts, except of the necessary system fonts.

I had several thousand fonts running..!

I believe it will also help you.

STAN

Hi @STANDILSTAN - I don't have many fonts installed, < 700, and I move them into the standard locations before installing. 

But, I think Sandboxing is the issue here .. From another reply by @Leigh, I looked at the Console while using Affinity and when the error was produced. Nothing to do with Fonts, as I searched for ".ttf" and "Font" and other terms. But, I did find several messages which seemed to be relevant. These were logged as the Affinity Photo was failing to write to a file on the Desktop. BTW, it took about 10 tries to get this error, the first few file saves were fine.

Sandbox: Affinity Photo(87128) deny(1) file-write-create /Users/zolo/Desktop/Celebrating You - Rachel 2019.png
Violation:       deny(1) file-write-create /Users/zolo/Desktop/Celebrating You - Rachel 2019.png 
Process:         Affinity Photo [87128]
Path:            /Applications/Affinity Photo.app/Contents/MacOS/Affinity Photo
Load Address:    0x10c238000
Identifier:      com.seriflabs.affinityphoto
Version:         1.7.155 (1.7.3)
Code Type:       x86_64 (Native)
Parent Process:  launchd [1]
Responsible:     /Applications/Affinity Photo.app/Contents/MacOS/Affinity Photo [87128]
User ID:         501

Date/Time:       2020-02-26 09:51:08.150 EST
OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.14.6 (18G1012)
Report Version:  8
Sandbox: Affinity Photo(87128) deny(1) file-read-data /private/var/folders/3d/mhwj6b255yb9w_w7d2rc8fp00000gn/C/com.apple.iconservices/store.index
Violation:       deny(1) file-read-data /private/var/folders/3d/mhwj6b255yb9w_w7d2rc8fp00000gn/C/com.apple.iconservices/store.index 

The second one was just as long but I cut out the redundant details. I can verify that location and file exists, and it contains files written by my user as it is an appropriate temp directory. There are 11,000+ files in there and the "store.index" but I don't think that is an issue.

This may or may not be related, but. this is the message on startup before any issues occurred. Many related details about the kernel are in the messages as well.

Sandbox: Affinity Photo(87128) deny(1) file-read-data /Users/zolo/Library/Preferences/com.apple.LaunchServices/com.apple.launchservices.secure.plist
Violation:       deny(1) file-read-data /Users/zolo/Library/Preferences/com.apple.LaunchServices/com.apple.launchservices.secure.plist 

As suggested earlier, I have added Affinity Photo and other products to the "Full Disk Access" list in Security Preferences. 

Any help would be appreciated,

Jon

12 hours ago, Leigh said:

@headhacker When you get this issue do you have any other Mac App Store apps running at the same time?

I do not, I have very minimal apps running at all at once, especially from the App Store. These issues appear on reboot, with Affinity the only app visibly open (an Apache server and other background tasks as well but nothing major). I do think it is Font related somehow though, as when I save pure graphic files it appears to work without issue. It is when the text elements exist when this issue comes up, but only after saving 10-12 documents.

I'll check again after the 1.8 upgrade to see if things improve and post the results back here.

Thanks again!

Same problem.  Doesn't happen every time. Happens while working in Pages and Numbers which are native.  I'll be working on the document making changes and as soon as I Save, I get the "Could not be Saved.You don't have permission" notice, so I don't think Affinity or other software is the problem.

I copy paste the file and delete the original as a work around (i.e. something broken).  Be aware that any changes just before this won't be saved.

Thanks for the info. Agree now that it is not intrinsic to Affinity, but a bigger issue at a deeper level in the OS.

My defense for this is simple. Save often and save early. This lets me know if there will be an issue, and a restart or copy/paste/save usually works it out.

Thanks everyone!

I have discovered that there is only one place i can save to...the iCloud folder where Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer are located, created by my iPad when I downloaded Affinity Photo/Designer. When I get that error, I can save to those folders without incident. When I restart the apps or my computer, I can save temporarily wherever I want. But then the bug kicks in and won't allow me to save, OR open Affinity files that are NOT in the iCloud Affinity folders.

----------------------------------------
i am everything. i am nothing
therefore, i can be anything

All,

Haven't seen the save files issue since recent updates on both the macOS and Affinity side. Just give Affinity permissions it needs and all should be well.

Thanks again for the help and support and keep up the great work.

Cheers,
Jon

1 hour ago, headhacker said:

All,

Haven't seen the save files issue since recent updates on both the macOS and Affinity side. Just give Affinity permissions it needs and all should be well.

Thanks again for the help and support and keep up the great work.

Cheers,
Jon

Does nothing. I gave full disk access and even gave read/write to "everyone" and "wheel" in the apps info section, "sharing & permissions." 

----------------------------------------
i am everything. i am nothing
therefore, i can be anything

An issue that might be creeping up is the number of fonts in use. If you're using an insane number of fonts (shared I think), this issue can happen. I thought it was fixed, but you might have a unique situation. Tech support can definitely help.

On 10/2/2020 at 11:50 PM, iambia said:

Does nothing. I gave full disk access and even gave read/write to "everyone" and "wheel" in the apps info section, "sharing & permissions." 

If you're using the Mac App Store version of our apps, please read the below FAQ. As @headhacker suggests, it could be font related.

after chatting with apple support Germany - making all they told me - nothing change - deinstall affinity  - install affinity - I notice that if I will not close the  first  picture, which I can save correctly, all the next pictures will save correctly. !  please people of affinity - check this! 

On 12/30/2020 at 7:22 PM, macvolker said:

after chatting with apple support Germany - making all they told me - nothing change - deinstall affinity  - install affinity - I notice that if I will not close the  first  picture, which I can save correctly, all the next pictures will save correctly. !  please people of affinity - check this! 

Is it possible to record your screen showing the error and then your workaround? That would be helpful 👍

On 10/30/2019 at 5:41 AM, sparanoid said:

I'm astonished that it still has this issue in 2019 with macOS Catalina, Serif team should definitely take care of the permission issue with macOS update. Here's the workaround:

• Open your System Preferences - Security & Privacy.
  • Click the lock icon on the lower-left corner to unlock this pane
  • Navigate to Full Disk Access on the left sidebar
  • Click the “+” icon to add Affinity Design/Photo to the list
  • Restart your Affinity Design/Photo app

Screen Shot 2019-10-30 at 1.37.02 PM.png

This would seem like the correct solution if the app showed up in the list!!

Hello Simon,
that was the first thing i found in the forum and also did. this is also what apple support told me as a first measure. Unfortunately, however, this has brought me no success. as I said, if the first in Photo edited image is saved, which always goes, but this is then not closed and remains open, then I can save all further opened and edited images without problems. But there must always remain a saved image open. Cumbersome, but works and costs some memory.
Greetings Volker

36 minutes ago, macvolker said:

Hello Simon,
that was the first thing i found in the forum and also did. this is also what apple support told me as a first measure. Unfortunately, however, this has brought me no success. as I said, if the first in Photo edited image is saved, which always goes, but this is then not closed and remains open, then I can save all further opened and edited images without problems. But there must always remain a saved image open. Cumbersome, but works and costs some memory.
Greetings Volker

Just move app to Trash and redownload  from app store. Force quit the app 1st then the irony is when you open for 1st time it asks you if you want to open recovered files   Say yes. And boom you’re back in the room and not faffing with settings required and your file should be where you tried to save it, or in my case files. 

beats doing anything daft. 

Interesting fact: I never had this problem for the last couple years on a MacBook pro mid 2015 running up to Mojave. Shortly before Christmas I bought a new intel MacBook pro and set up 4 apfs volumes on the internal SSD (helps with working files being TM backed up and more static files being manually backed up). The computer is running Catalina. With this setup Affinity Photo started to throw that "You have no permission to save to this location" message at me. First I tried to update to the latest Catalina thinking the the installation will fix any corruption. Then Photo 1.9.0 came out (I am running the AppStore version) and I thought this will now certainly fix the problem. But it did not. The first file always saves, often the error only appears for the 3rd or even 4th or 5th file. From then on nothing goes. Affinity Photo continues to work properly, just saving is not possible any more. The filename in the title bar gets the proper asterisk icon signaling a modified file, but it also gets a lock icon once the problem kicks in. I can open a second file into the same session but this will also not save. I have to close Photo and reopen it. Then the game starts all over. I don't care whether this is Apple's or Affinity's problem. For me it only occurs with Affinity Photo, never had this with any other application on the Mac. The file getting a lock icon makes me think that the error message might be misleading, that the problem is not about saving but some program internal state becoming messed up locking this and any subsequent file. 

Please fix asap!

1 hour ago, ruggiero said:

Interesting fact: I never had this problem for the last couple years on a MacBook pro mid 2015 running up to Mojave. Shortly before Christmas I bought a new intel MacBook pro and set up 4 apfs volumes on the internal SSD (helps with working files being TM backed up and more static files being manually backed up). The computer is running Catalina. With this setup Affinity Photo started to throw that "You have no permission to save to this location" message at me. First I tried to update to the latest Catalina thinking the the installation will fix any corruption. Then Photo 1.9.0 came out (I am running the AppStore version) and I thought this will now certainly fix the problem. But it did not. The first file always saves, often the error only appears for the 3rd or even 4th or 5th file. From then on nothing goes. Affinity Photo continues to work properly, just saving is not possible any more. The filename in the title bar gets the proper asterisk icon signaling a modified file, but it also gets a lock icon once the problem kicks in. I can open a second file into the same session but this will also not save. I have to close Photo and reopen it. Then the game starts all over. I don't care whether this is Apple's or Affinity's problem. For me it only occurs with Affinity Photo, never had this with any other application on the Mac. The file getting a lock icon makes me think that the error message might be misleading, that the problem is not about saving but some program internal state becoming messed up locking this and any subsequent file. 

Please fix asap!

Do you get the same issue when saving locally and not to a networked APFS volume?

Its not a networked apfs volume but a volume on the built-in ssd. And yes, I have the same effect. I did not try to save to a network share as I have none available.

On 2/11/2021 at 3:28 PM, ruggiero said:

Its not a networked apfs volume but a volume on the built-in ssd. And yes, I have the same effect. I did not try to save to a network share as I have none available.

Thanks for replying. I'm sorry for the delay in replying. It seems like you're running into this. Do you have any other Affinity apps? You could try the beta to see if you get the same issue - if you don't, then it's pointing to the sandboxing issue. I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks for the tip. I'll download the beta version and try and gladly give message. But I'm a little busy right now, so I can not give an answer here in the short term.I only use affinity photo. I'm dreaming of affinity Lightroom 😉

I have Affinity Photo 1.9.0 from the AppStore and do have the Could not Save issue. Moderate number of fonts, no font manager involved. App starts quickly, no long delay, no Open File problems, The first file always works. When I keep that first file open all other files do work too and there are no issues whatsoever. Seems that the first save keeps a tab on "something" that prevents the issue from happening.

Could it be that closing the (first) file releases some resource that should not be released?

On 2/23/2021 at 7:07 AM, ruggiero said:

I have Affinity Photo 1.9.0 from the AppStore and do have the Could not Save issue. Moderate number of fonts, no font manager involved. App starts quickly, no long delay, no Open File problems, The first file always works. When I keep that first file open all other files do work too and there are no issues whatsoever. Seems that the first save keeps a tab on "something" that prevents the issue from happening.

Could it be that closing the (first) file releases some resource that should not be released?

Thanks for the update and feedback. That's interesting - it might be worth checking console to see if anything is listed in there regarding the error and you closing the first file.