alecmarcus

Cannot Save: "Save failed because you do not have permission to create a file in that location."

I just purchased and downloaded Affinity Designer last night. I attempted to open a .ai file with it, and was met with an error regarding permissions. I also tried to save an Affinity project (.afdesigner), which was met with a permissions error as well. The error reads:

Failed to save document: /Users/alec/Documents/Untitled.afdesign
Save failed because you do not have permission to create a file in that location.

I am only able to read/save files in my newly created Affinity Designer iCloud storage, which is not the workflow I will be adopting.

Before anyone flags this as a duplicate or writes this off, know that I have:

• Tried saving to/reading from multiple directories within my home directory, not limited to my Documents folder. (eg: ` ~/`, `~/Pictures`, `~/Downloads`)
  • Used CleanMyMac3 to repair my disk permissions (multiple times)

• Manually reset permissions on my home folder recursively to all subdirectories and files (Right click > get info > Permissions & Sharing)

• Manually reset permissions on my home folder via terminal

• Ran First Aid via Disk Utility

• Restarted my computer (between each step)

• Cleared Affinity Designer's data by holding down Ctrl while booting

• Uninstalled and re-installed Affinity Designer

I've read that this is related to Apple's sandboxing. Regardless, it seems insane that the program can't interface with my hard drive. My email client, writing apps, and video games downloaded from the app store can, without any issues ever. Why can't Affinity? Also, if this is an App Store issue that is reoccuring, why not make a standalone version... I'd prefer that anyway....

Double bummer because I was so thrilled to be replacing Illustrator with an allegedly superior project at the cost of only $50. Hoping someone can help me.

Screen Shot 2018-02-05 at 5.31.54 PM.png

Hey alecmarcus,

Usually running First Aid via Disk Utility fixes this issue. I'm genuinely a little surprised that didn't fix it (along with all the other things you have tried). To help work out of this is a general permissions issue on the Mac or a permissions issue with the release version of Designer, can you try installing the beta and see if you can save/export from that? Here's the link for Designer beta. You can also try the trial for Photo. 

Let me know how you get on. If the beta works we can focus more toward fixing the permissions for the release version. 

I'm having the same problem. Only with both, Designer and Photo, and with opening and saving. I was able to open a photo from my Pictures folder, modified it and tried to "save-as" with the changes , and I was denied due to not having privileges.

I just tried the Photo Trial and is seemed to open and save OK. I'll experiment with it and also the Designer, and report back.

To reset user permissions, follow (exactly!) the instructions in Apple's 'knowledge base' article Resolve issues caused by changing the permissions of items in your home folder.

Affinity Photo 1.7.3, Affinity Designer 1.7.3, Affinity Publisher 1.7.3; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.155 & Affinity Designer 1.7.3.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 13.1.2

Thanks for the responses.

I downloaded and installed the beta: no dice. Will do one more full permissions reset, per Apple's guide (when I get the time). I'll let you know whether it works.

I started using Affinity Photo on my new MacBook Pro & I keep having this happen randomly. I can be working on files, uploading the to Flickr & then suddenly I can't save the edited file. The only way to fix this is to quit Affinity Photo & start editing that image again. I've only got a single file open & it doesn't matter if I try to change to another directory on the MacBook Pro, it's locked out of the whole directory. I'm working with local files on the MacBook Pro & don't move them to external drives or network storage until all editing is completed. There is nothing wrong with the local permissions & as soon as Affinity Photo is relaunched I can open & save files.

This really annoying, especially when I think this is a great app that's saved me doing an Adobe Photoshop subscription because I'm shooting & editing photos when I go touring Australia.

AffinityPhotoFailedSave20180530.png

I just encountered the same bug in Affinity Photo.  It's a critical bug because it could cause lost work! 

• MacOS 10.13.6, Affinity Photo 1.6.7
  • It's an intermittent bug, so installing the beta won't help identify this issue.
  • This is clearly not a "disk utility" or "permissions" issue because no other software on my Mac had trouble saving files.  I ran disk utility anyway, and it found no errors, as expected.
  • I tried saving to several different locations, and tried using several different file names
  • Luckily for me, I force quit Affinity, then reopened,  and the recovery file opened.  I was then able to save my work - bug no longer present.

48 minutes ago, mattthew said:

• This is clearly not a "disk utility" or "permissions" issue because no other software on my Mac had trouble saving files.  I ran disk utility anyway, and it found no errors, as expected.

As explained above, running Disk Utility will not repair permissions of anything in a user's home folder.

51 minutes ago, mattthew said:

• I tried saving to several different locations, and tried using several different file names

Are all the locations in your home folder? Is your home folder on the startup drive?

Affinity Photo 1.7.3, Affinity Designer 1.7.3, Affinity Publisher 1.7.3; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.155 & Affinity Designer 1.7.3.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 13.1.2

@R C-R thanks for your response.  Yes I tried, and no I was not able to save from Affinity directly to "Macintosh HD" (outside of the Home folder).  I did not try saving outside of my startup drive since I only have that one drive on this laptop. 

I tried running "Disk Utility" specifically because moderator, @Chris B, said above "Usually running First Aid via Disk Utility fixes this issue."  Unfortunately, in reading through the thread before, I missed your link to the Apple knowledge base article, so I didn't try those instructions.  You said, "As explained above, running Disk Utility will not repair permissions of anything in a user's home folder."  However, if you reread you original post, you'll see that you did not explain that in your reply above, nor does the Apple article you liked to explain that.

Now that I've read the Apple article, I still don't think that it would have helped.  The reason is that before I closed the Affinity app, I had also tried saving a few different kinds of files from a few other applications (both saving files within the Home folder and outside of it).  Since those other applications were all able to save files to any location without issue, doesn't that prove that Affinity's being unable to save could not have been related to Home folder permissions?

51 minutes ago, mattthew said:

You said, "As explained above, running Disk Utility will not repair permissions of anything in a user's home folder."  However, if you reread you original post, you'll see that you did not explain that in your reply above, nor does the Apple article you liked to explain that.

If you check the post I linked to (this one), it contains a link to this Apple article. That article begins as follows:
"If you change the read or write permissions of items in your home folder, you might need to reset permissions to avoid certain issues." It explains how to do that in the section titled Reset permissions. Note that it does not mention or use Disk Utility in any step.

One of the symptoms mentioned in the article is "When saving changes to an item, you get a message that the file is locked or you don't have permission to save," which is the same symptom you mentioned. Because of the complexities of how apps are sandboxed & how that affects permissions, it would be unusual but not impossible for this to affect just one or a few apps.

I'm receiving the same error message, and have tried the solutions mentioned above without success. My other programs can write files with no issue, but trying to save with both Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo produces the same error message on my machine, rendering the apps useless until I can find a solution.

Bumping because the original post is nearly a year old. Is there another solution? I've tried all of the above, and am still getting the error message in both Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo. I'm running MacOS 10.13.6, Affinity Designer 1.6.1, and Affinity Photo 1.6.7.

Screen Shot 2019-01-10 at 4.31.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-10 at 4.42.13 PM.png

I recently erased my HD and did a clean install of the OS on my machine. This fixed my issues. Kind of a pain, but the problem seems to be on Apple's end, not Affinity's. I was blaming Affinity until I started having similar issues with Pages, Apple's own app. Apologies to Affinity ... I'm looking forward to giving the apps another try!

Another update. Shortly after setting my Mac up again after the reinstall, I tried opening a file with Affinity Photo and my issues were back. Affinity Photo refused to open any files. After a bit of research, I found a link to another part of this forum and discovered these issues were caused by too many files in use by sandboxed apps, which can include fonts. I was using a third-party font manager, and decided to try uninstalling that and using Apple's built-in FontBook app instead. After doing this and restarting, Affinity Photo opened files without issue. I'm posting this here in case it helps solve anyone else's problem. Here is the link to the other thread for more info:

Cannot open or save with both affinity designer and photo beta

Hi all,

I'm having this issue again with Affinity Photo 1.7.1. It's happening every fourth or fifth photo I'm editing. I haven't done much with Affinity Designer 1.7.1 & Affinity Publisher 1.7.1 so I haven't encountered this issue with those programs. I do have additional fonts installed but they are all managed by Apple's FontBook - total fonts 405 which shouldn't be too many for desktop publishing.

Same problem with me with 1.7.3 I have not had this issue with the prior version. I am on a Macbook running OS 10.14.3. It is NOT my Mac software - files are saved just fine with every other application on my computer. Really irritating. It also won't place any file within a document.  I hope someone at Affinity fixes this. The software is useless otherwise. 

Screen Shot 2019-10-08 at 6.25.08 PM.png