Akar

Sharpness lack on export

I’m sorry for the very long story, but I didn't find the way to shorten the description of noticed problem.

My final steps of jpg image processing are cropping, usually to 16:9 proportions, resampling to 1920:1080 and sharpening using the filter best suited to the photo. Next I export the picture to disk again as jpg, using export command and don’t change the picture size during export.

Unfortunately I noticed, that sometimes the saved pictures looked in Faststone (or any picture viewer) are softer, than before export, viewed in AP. It is particullary obvious on pictures containing many tiny, sharp details. The difference is not big, but noticable. It is annoying, because the final result is a bit unpredictable in terms of sharpness and can differ from what I got in the edition.

I assumed, that as long as I don’t change the picture size on the export, the choice of the algorithm displayed in the export dialog box is irrelevant and it was left “Bilinear” by default. I was wrong. In most cases the results were the following: nearest neighbour – sharpest, bilinear – softest, Biqubic and Lanchos 3 Separable between them; Lanchos 3 Non-separable very oversharpened;

What is weired, there are photos, which are not suffer from this phenomenon, but I could’t find any regularity.

Trying to better understand it I did some additional tests:

1.   I prepared exactly 1920:1080 picture in another software and opened it in AP, than exported it as is, choosing all algorithms from nearest neighbour to Lanchos 3 Non-separable. There was no difference between exported files - as expected.

2.      I opened the jpg picture 4928x3264 (the original size from 16 Mp camera) and resampled it to 1080 high, getting 1630,6 width and:

a.  Exported it with no any change, getting different looking pictures, depending on the algorithm set in the export dialog box, as described above.   I can eventually understand it: the width of the final picture (displayed in the export dialog box) is 1630 instead of the initial 1630,6, so perhaps there can be any role of the resampling algorithm. For confirmation I did the following:

b.  In the Resize Dokument dialog box I changed 1630,6 to 1630 (1080 hight left unchanged) and repeated steps from 2a), this time getting identical results for each exported file, despite of the algorithm. It can confirm the conclusion from the point above.

It seems there is nothing wrong in the results of these tests, contrary to the normal workflow, described above.

I hope I’m right posting this description in the Bug section, because there is something wrong from my point of view. I hope you will find the way to fix the problem and I will be able to stop worry about the final result of my processing.

Best regards,
Andrzej

Hi Akar,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

If you are not scaling the file on export there shouldn't be any resampling going on. What types of layers are you working with? Do you have any embedded document layers or Image layers (that you scaled up or down on canvas) on your project file? You can check this looking at the label between parenthesis after the layer's name in the Layer's panel.

Hi MEB,

It doesn't depend on layers, I just confirmed this. I opened the file, cropped to 16:9, resized to 1920:1080 and exported, without any adjustments. No adjustmsnts, no leyers. The results as above.

Hi MEB once again,

for some reasons I was in a hurry writing the above answer, so I would like to add some words now. Normally my projects are rather simple, as I am an amateur photographer and my goal is to get as much as possible from my shots. In other words to get best looking photos. It means I use mainly different adjustments, also losless, using layers, masking etc. Sometimes I duplicate layers and blend them latter. The problem described above I noticed during my normal workflow, which usually contain adjustment layers, but confirmed with the plain, not adjusted picture, as I wrote in the previous post.

I would like to point it out once again, that if I open ready 1920x1080 picture, do nothing and than export it with different algorithms settings, all is correct, as expected. If it is a file resized in AP to the same 1920x1080, than it happens (but not always!).