You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Filter Forge 6 and Wavelet decomposition

In a recent post, the OP was asking about wavelets. I was aware that FilterForge did offer wavelet filter and that FF 6 was compatible with Affinity Photo. Some time ago I bought FF6 on a special offer, but I had not really explored it. So I downloaded the wavelet filter for FF. I needed to upgrade to the latest version of FF6 first (not FF7), and it loaded into Affinity. I had loaded and developed a raw image of a prickly shrub first as a suitable subject.

WaveletSquare640.jpg.34503b006e5a3e5677a7a03bc292349d.jpg

After a while it showed a set of images of the various decompositions squashed side-by-side.

WaveletSet640.jpg.e7669788b7bdec7df8b75686457ddb82.jpg

The rather limited filter documentation tells me to load the six output images into a stack above the residual image. I can work out which these are in the composite image above, but I have no idea what happened to the individual, properly-scaled output images.

Does anyone have any experience of this? The FF filter is said to emulate the wavelet filter in GIMP.

I saved the composite image from within the FF filter, but I found that it had frozen Affinity. I had to use the Task Manager to close it. I also noticed that Affinity was using over 5Gb of memory as opposed to a more usual 400Mb. I was later able to run FilterForge as a standalone with no problems.

I have posed a comment on the Filter Forge Forum, but the link to email the author does not function.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

56 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

the link to email the author does not function

Jane from Filter Forge is a member here, so you might like to try contacting her by Private Message.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)