Jump to content
dolunaykiz

Document Crop Tool for Affinity Designer

Recommended Posts

What I'm missing is a quick way to reduce white space in my Designer documents, that is something akin to "Image | Crop" in Photoshop. Instead, I have to go through Document Setup every time, which is a pain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dolunaykiz said:

This is needed not just for Designer, but also Photo. Why is there no simple "image crop" function???

 

What do you find yourself unable to do with the current Crop Tool in Affinity Photo? :/

 


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.11.85 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.1.4 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Alfred said:

 

What do you find yourself unable to do with the current Crop Tool in Affinity Photo? :/

 

As I said, Photoshop has a functionality where you can select something with the marquee tool and then Image | Crop, and it will crop the image to the selection. You can also not marquee parts of the image in Photo and then copy that part to the clipboard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, dolunaykiz said:

As I said, Photoshop has a functionality where you can select something with the marquee tool and then Image | Crop, and it will crop the image to the selection.

 

Affinity Photo doesn't have a 'Crop to Selection' command, but you can copy a pixel selection to the clipboard and then use 'File > New From Clipboard' to create a new image.

 

11 minutes ago, dolunaykiz said:

You can also not marquee parts of the image in Photo and then copy that part to the clipboard.

 

Yes, you can: you just need to make sure that you're copying a pixel selection. If the layer in question is designated as an '(Image)' layer in the Layers panel, right-click it and choose 'Rasterize...' from the context menu to convert it to a '(Pixel)' layer so that you can copy selected parts of it.

 


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.11.85 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.1.4 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alfred said:

 

Affinity Photo doesn't have a 'Crop to Selection' command, but you can copy a pixel selection to the clipboard and then use 'File > New From Clipboard' to create a new image.

 

 

Yes, you can: you just need to make sure that you're copying a pixel selection. If the layer in question is designated as an '(Image)' layer in the Layers panel, right-click it and choose 'Rasterize...' from the context menu to convert it to a '(Pixel)' layer so that you can copy selected parts of it.

 

I must have not made myself clear. I know about the "copy from clipboard", which worked for me in Designer, but for some reason not in Photo. And yes, I was using the right persona in Photo. And in Designer, you don't have to be in a different persona.

 

What I am saying is that in a future update, it would be nice to have a similar functionality. Right now, neither program gives me that, and I came to realize that I use that more than I thought, and the "workaround" just isn't cutting it for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, dolunaykiz said:

I must have not made myself clear. I know about the "copy from clipboard", which worked for me in Designer, but for some reason not in Photo. And yes, I was using the right persona in Photo. And in Designer, you don't have to be in a different persona.

 

No, I'm afraid you didn't make yourself clear! In your original post you wrote

 

On 05/02/2018 at 0:00 AM, dolunaykiz said:

I have to go through Document Setup every time, which is a pain.

 

and then in your next post you wrote

 

2 hours ago, dolunaykiz said:

Why is there no simple "image crop" function???

 

I don't know why it didn't work for you in Photo, as long as you were working on a 'Pixel' layer rather than an 'Image' layer. As for the Persona restriction, that isn't particularly surprising: it wouldn't make sense to do this kind of thing in the Develop Persona or the Liquify Persona, but Designer doesn't have either of those.


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.11.85 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.1.4 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, dolunaykiz said:

the original post was about Designer. 

 

I'm aware of that, thanks, but you chose to widen the discussion in your second post.

 

2 hours ago, dolunaykiz said:

This is needed not just for Designer, but also Photo.

 


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.11.85 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.1.4 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know you meant to help, but this discussion wasn't particularly fruitful. I am requesting a feature, that is it. What I am requesting currently doesn't exist and should be added. Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Meanwhile, you can work on a single Artboard, which can be resized easily.

Best regards!


You'll never know what you can do until you get it up as high as you can go!   

AMD FX 8350 :: Radeon HD 7870 :: Windows 10 ::  http://mithferion.deviantart.com/

Oxygen Icons :: Free Quality Fonts :: Public Domain Pictures :: iOS 11 Design Resources :: iOS App Icon Template :: The Secret of High Quality Art

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×