You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

No Units in Filter Dust Removal

Hi! My first Topic here! I'm a little bit nervous...Let's have a try.

Having Win 10 (German Version) and Photo Beta 1.6.3.99. When using the filter "Dust Removal" (Dunst entfernen) I see no Units, like % or Pixel. It isn't useful. Can anybody follow this?

Sorry, if this was mentioned before. I didn't find it in the "Search"-Area.

Thank you for reply.

Greetings

Peter

Hi, Peter. Welcome to the forums.

I don't see a Dust Removal filter (though I can find Dust & Scratches). According to Google Translate "Dunst entfernen" is "Remove Haze", so perhaps Filters->Haze Removal is what you mean?

If I select that, I get a popup window with several sliders to control the effect. You're right that none of them give a Pixel-based size setting, but I don't think that's what Haze Removal is intended to do. More information about what it does is available in the Affinity Photo Help. Just search, probably for Dunst entfernen :) In the English help it says

Haze Removal can remove slight to extreme cases of haze affecting an image. Its most typical use is for landscape photography where the haze causes low contrast and low saturation, but it can also be used to improve images taken during rainy and foggy conditions.

Settings

The following settings can be adjusted in the filter dialog:

• Distance—controls the depth of the haze removal: moving the slider to the right removes haze towards the background of the image.
  • Strength—specifies how strong the haze removal effect should be. More strength results in more extreme haze removal.
  • Exposure Correction—allows for correction of the image's exposure: use if haze removal causes underexposure or overexposure.

If you are interested in dust, not haze, you might want Filters->Noise->Dust & Scratches...  or Layer->New Live Filter Layer->Dust & Scratches Filter. Either of those will give you a radius setting, which seems to be what you're looking for. But I think the Dust & Scratches filter and the Haze Removal filter do very different things.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thank you for welcome and your help That's what I mean. "Remove Haze". Of course. My translation was too "German-minded". Thank you.

But nevertheless - I think, in a workflow it ishould be better for comparability, to have a Pixel-based size setting or %. Perhaps it is a feature and not a bug...

5 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Filters->Noise->Dust & Scratches...  or Layer->New Live Filter Layer->Dust & Scratches Filter.

Great. I never saw and used them before. But you're right. They effekts a little different things. 

Thank you and best regards

Peter

7 hours ago, Peter2017 said:

When using the filter "Dust Removal" (Dunst entfernen) I see no Units, like % or Pixel. It isn't useful. Can anybody follow this?

Meinst Du diese Filter ?
Filter - Dunst entfernen

Do you mean these filters?
Filter - remove haze

or these

Ebene - Neue Live-Filterebene - Staub&Kratzer

Layer - New Live Filter Layer - Dust & Scratches

Dunst_entfernen.jpg

LiveFilter_Staub-Kratzer.jpg

Win7 HP 64 Bit, AMD Six-core 3.50 GHz, 16 GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti

@ Julius1de

Thank you for your help!

22 minutes ago, Julius1de said:

Meinst Du diese Filter ?
Filter - Dunst entfernen

Do you mean these filters?
Filter - remove haze

Of course - I meant these filters. Remove haze - that's it! My translation was misleading. Sorry! But nevertheless - there were no units like % or px, are they? I think, it's a little annoying feature - not a bug.

Peter

Off topic: it's always funny reading and answering in english and thinking german - also nochmal: Danke für deine Hinweise!

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.