You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have been trying to understand artboards  in Affinity Desigher which I am beginning to like very much.  However, I do have a question.

Here's what happens:

1. Start a new document an check Create Artboard

2. Draw a shape on the artboard. The shape is below the artboard in the Layers panel.

3. Use pen tool to make a design.  The design is above the shape on the artboard.

4.  Use the Artistic text tool and type some text.  The text sits above the artboard.  However, if I move the text to reposition it on the screen, the text jumps into place on the artboard.

Is this how it is supposed to work or is this a bug?ab1.PNG.6472747cf69bc5a42dfeb4234875ad2e.PNGab2.PNG.106583d37bb3fae1212c7bff9b6a1d67.PNG 

Windows 10 Home
Affinity Designer 1.6.4.104
Affinity Photo 1.6.4.104

The text position is excluded and probably not checked here in the same way as other objects, meaning if it is entered on the artboard or outside of it. - Can't tell you if it is by design, or if it's exclusion here is more a bug in this case.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Adopted.thumb.gif.a27d37dc7f597ab9e4af176af43f86e3.gifI think when the text moves into the Artboard area, the Artboard effectively takes ownship of that object and makes it a child layer, it adopts it :D

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

2 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

I think when the text moves into the Artboard area, the Artboard effectively takes ownship of that object and makes it a child layer, it adopts it :D

So what? - If you draw a rect on the artboard it is placed as a child layer, if you draw it outside it's on an own layer. The arttext doesn't behave like that here and there is also no studio assistant setting to customize this for text.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

But, since you are working on an artboard, shouldn't the text go below it the same way the rectangle and pen image did?   You are just using a different tool to create a vector. 

Windows 10 Home
Affinity Photo 1.6.4.104

Just now, MaryLou said:

But, since you are working on an artboard, shouldn't the text go below it the same way the rectangle and pen image did?   You are just using a different tool to create a vector. 

Agreed!

Actually The same thing happens if you create the text outside of the artboard and then drag it in, the text becomes a child layer but typing within the artboard it becomes a parent layer.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

We already know this, here the point is more why the text isn't created as a child layer and instead a parent one when you create it on/inside the artboard dimensions.

That seems to be fixed in Affinity Designer 1.6.3.99 Beta, new today.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

7 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

That seems to be fixed in Affinity Designer 1.6.3.99 Beta, new today.

Really?   Thanks for this information!!!  I can't test it now - am heading out to my birthday party but will download the new beta when I get home!

Windows 10 Home
Affinity Photo 1.6.4.104

I just tested it and YES!   It has been fixed.  No matter where I type the text, it clips itself to the artboard.  This makes me a  happy camper!!  

Thanks to everyone who responded to this topic. I think it was a learning experience for all of us. 

Windows 10 Home
Affinity Photo 1.6.4.104