You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta - 1.6.3.99

Click here to download the latest beta

Purpose: Stability
Requirements: A valid product key (issued if Affinity Designer was purchased from the Affinity Store).

As this is a beta it is considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity that you may be adversely affected by the application failing, including the total loss of any documents. 

We hope you enjoy the latest build, and as always, if you've got any problems, please don't hesitate to post here and we'll get back to you as soon as we can. Thanks once again for your continued feedback.

If you have a general question about the software, please head over to the Questions Forum, or if you have any suggestions, please head over to the Feature Requests forum.

Fixes

• Fixed Pixelmator PSD text import

• Added transparent TGA import support

• Attempt to support fonts with truncated type 4 tables (e.g. Serpentine)

• Fixed text frame auto-resizing not working with a single character

• Added support for fonts that substitute spaces, eg Nyala

• Fixed brush selection is not retained after duplicating brush

• Fixed changing brush tip is not always initially accepted 

• Fixed inability to export transparent PNG, TIFF, etc

• Fixed Fill Noise not applied when filling with Custom colour, Primary and Secondary colours etc  

• Fixed Colour Chooser not correctly switching to match the selected colour 

• Improved curve fitting for raster brushes

• Fixed text creation in artboards to be inside the containing artboard

• Fixed tool shortcuts ignore modifier keys 

• Fixed Text Styles showing wrong units for Justification options 

• Fixed Tab Stop units not auto updating with document units 

• Fixed Text Style dialog missing the [No Change] behaviour for the Tab Stop table 

• Fixed drag and drop from IrfanView not accepting file items into the document as new layers

• Fixed exporting multiple documents

• Fixed crash using Pen tool (* see known issues)

• Fixed when a colour is removed, the Opacity/Noise slider is not disabled 

• Fixed floating windows starting off-screen when monitor is disconnected

• Fixed layer folder icon not initially updating

• Fixed document type incorrectly displayed when artboards added 

• Fixed floating windows appearing on the incorrect taskbar

• Fixed text not being drawn after power duplicate

• Fixed rare instances of being unable to select text

• Fixed a couple of instances where the colour wheel wouldn't update properly

• Use different icon for Arrange/Alignment

• Fixed unusable transparent area left after cropping with New View 

Known issues

• Using the Pen Tool can result in high memory usage

Good fixes! Keep'em coming.

I wonder if you will fix a regression with the Export persona that appeared in the latest releases, i. e., changing an artboard's name does not change the corresponding slice name anymore. This creates warnings in the slices panel and can easily be overlooked.

Thanks.

• Staff
1 hour ago, rubs said:

Good fixes! Keep'em coming.

I wonder if you will fix a regression with the Export persona that appeared in the latest releases, i. e., changing an artboard's name does not change the corresponding slice name anymore. This creates warnings in the slices panel and can easily be overlooked.

Thanks.

Unfortunately I cannot reproduce this - for me the names are being changed in both the Slices and Layers section of the Export Persona.

4 hours ago, Sean P said:

Unfortunately I cannot reproduce this - for me the names are being changed in both the Slices and Layers section of the Export Persona.

Okay, I'll test this again provide a sample file later. Thanks.

With this new beta I got the "not responding" Windows screen three or four times already (see screenshot below.). I can't say if there's a specific action that's causing the crash. I'm working on a 3 MB project with 15 artboards and some symbols.

dwm_2018-02-05_17-11-52.png

Hi Sean,

7 hours ago, Sean P said:

Try the following:

1. Open the file below. (I couldn't recreate it with a new file.)

2. Check the Export persona. You'll see the slice is named Artboard1.

3. Go back to the Draw persona and create a copy of the existing artboard.

4. Rename the new artboard to Artboard2.

2. Check the Export persona again. You'll see both slices are named Artboard1.

Artboard.afdesign

Edited by rubs
Missed file

1 hour ago, rubs said:

With this new beta I got the "not responding" Windows screen three or four times already (see screenshot below.). I can't say if there's a specific action that's causing the crash. I'm working on a 3 MB project with 15 artboards and some symbols.

This time I noticed, the hang happened again when trying to close a small document. For other documents AD took a while but responded again.

15 minutes ago, rubs said:

Open the file below. (I couldn't recreate it with a new file.)

It looks as though you either forgot or failed to attached the file.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

The current stable version is 1.6.1 or 1.6.2 (with just a small difference in the Welcome screen functionality between the two versions). Version 1.6.3 is still in beta, but after it comes out of beta you’ll be notified of an update when you launch the release version.

Alfred spacer.png

2 hours ago, rubs said:

Try the following:

5. Check the Export persona again. You'll see both slices are named Artboard1.

Artboard.afdesign

I can't reproduce that behaviour here, in either the release version that I have (1.6.1.93) or the latest beta version (1.6.3.99). Artboard 2 retains its new name regardless of which persona I choose.

Alfred spacer.png

34 minutes ago, Alfred said:

The current stable version is 1.6.1 or 1.6.2 (with just a small difference in the Welcome screen functionality between the two versions). Version 1.6.3 is still in beta, but after it comes out of beta you’ll be notified of an update when you launch the release version.

great, thanks :)

• Staff
11 hours ago, rubs said:

Hi Sean,

Try the following:

2. Check the Export persona again. You'll see both slices are named Artboard1.

Artboard.afdesign

Thanks for that - I've reproduced using this file. I'll get it passed on to development.

• Staff
59 minutes ago, chris.bannu said:

This Beta version is quite buggy, how can I revert back to the previous beta version? I was quite happy with that.

Thank you,

Chris

What bugs are you getting? The whole idea of beta testing is that when you find bugs, you report them to development who can then fix them and improve the software. 

4 hours ago, Sean P said:

What bugs are you getting? The whole idea of beta testing is that when you find bugs, you report them to development who can then fix them and improve the software. 

I did report the bugs I found so far :) The thing is I am using the beta version for production, but it's cool, I'll keep using the current beta, I like giving a helping hand :)

Hi - I just installed the above beta, and found my wacom Intuos pro stopped working with it (same issue as the retail version) I tried uninstalling it and reverting back to the previous beta which worked (but now I really need that functionality) but the previous beta now won't work either.. my previous to current beta of Photo still works fine with the Wacom... disappointed.. :(

Symptoms are - just extreme lag so extreme as to be totally unusable - when I tried the previous beta, 33.98 btw the curser was fine until I opened a new document.. I won't be updating Photo beta in the meantime.

Cheers

On 2/7/2018 at 3:38 PM, chris.bannu said:

I did report the bugs I found so far :) The thing is I am using the beta version for production, but it's cool, I'll keep using the current beta, I like giving a helping hand :)

So I think it will not be possible to revert back to the old beta as they expire after a month.

But I totally understand it, especially now as it seems that betas get released once a month? Or will there be quick hotfix releases because the crashes?

System                                                              Notebook Lenovo P50

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3900x                              CPU: Intel i7-6700HQ

RAM: 64 GB                                                   RAM: 32 GB

GPU: RTX 3080 TI                                         GPU: NVIDIA Quadro M2000M 4 GB

SSD: Samsung 980 PRO 1 TB                       SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 500GB

OS: Windows 11 Edu x64                               OS: Windows 10 x64

TFT: 1 x Samsung C49RG94SSU                  TFT: 2 x Lenovo

20 hours ago, DegasBrush said:

Hi - I just installed the above beta, and found my wacom Intuos pro stopped working with it (same issue as the retail version) I tried uninstalling it and reverting back to the previous beta which worked (but now I really need that functionality) but the previous beta now won't work either.. my previous to current beta of Photo still works fine with the Wacom... disappointed.. :(

Symptoms are - just extreme lag so extreme as to be totally unusable - when I tried the previous beta, 33.98 btw the curser was fine until I opened a new document.. I won't be updating Photo beta in the meantime.

Cheers

Hi, in the latest beta, we haven't changed any code with regards to Wacom input (or any input at all). I would suggest there is possibly some other issue at play here. Have you tried uninstalling your Wacom driver and then installing the latest driver afterwards?

Mark - Interesting.. yes I did as you suggested - completely removed the wacom driver and software, and reinstalled.. no dice with a caveat, Neither the current version of designer 1.6.2.97 nor the current beta 1.6.3.99 nor the current version of Photo 1.6.2.97 HOWEVER the current Beta of Photo 1.6.3.99 Does work properly as it should! go figure??

In the other three applications, the stylus works as it should in the tool areas ie vertical left, across the top and down the right hand side, but once it crosses into the paste board area, it sort of drops to like 1 frame a second in it's movement across that area.. bearing in mind that the stylus works perfectly across the Adobe software I use (Illustrator and Photoshop) as well as GIMP - is it possible that it's an issue generated from the Fall Creators Update?? Is anyone else with an Intuos Pro having similar issues?? Cheers

1 hour ago, DegasBrush said:

Mark - Interesting.. yes I did as you suggested - completely removed the wacom driver and software, and reinstalled.. no dice with a caveat, Neither the current version of designer 1.6.2.97 nor the current beta 1.6.3.99 nor the current version of Photo 1.6.2.97 HOWEVER the current Beta of Photo 1.6.3.99 Does work properly as it should! go figure??

In the other three applications, the stylus works as it should in the tool areas ie vertical left, across the top and down the right hand side, but once it crosses into the paste board area, it sort of drops to like 1 frame a second in it's movement across that area.. bearing in mind that the stylus works perfectly across the Adobe software I use (Illustrator and Photoshop) as well as GIMP - is it possible that it's an issue generated from the Fall Creators Update?? Is anyone else with an Intuos Pro having similar issues?? Cheers

That's very odd. There shouldn't be any difference between the pasteboard area and the document area. Can you provide a video for us to look at?