Jump to content

Recommended Posts

There are no "Fill" layers in Designer.

 

The best solution is to create a Rectangle shape the size of the page and fill that. That is almost exactly the same thing. If you need bleed, remember to make the rectangle a bit bigger than the page all round.


Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are several ways to do this, either use a rectangle which covers the document area, fill it with a color or gradient and adjust it's opacity to your needs, or use/add an adjustment gradient layer.


☛ Affinity Designer 1.7.3 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.7.3 ◆ OSX El Capitan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since with vectors you can size and fill any object accordingly, aka make a big covering rect and fill. Also there are gradient fills and adjustment gradients, which can be customized and pretty much offer the same then in a more flexible manner from simple to complex.


☛ Affinity Designer 1.7.3 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.7.3 ◆ OSX El Capitan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, oceanpearls said:

Ok thanks. Why aren't there fill layers in Designer? 

 

As I see it, Designer is really a page layout program. You don't colour whole pages, normally.

 

Photo is an image program, It is common to colour the background of an image.

 

But I don't really know :(


Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Cristian Dragos said:

The funny thing is that when you import a PSD file with a fill layer it will get imported as a fill layer in Affinity Designer as well which is a borderless layer just like in Photoshop.

So something's fishy around here! Any explanations for this weird phenomenon?

You can also creat a document in Affinity Photo, add a Fill Layer, and open that document in Designer. It will have the Fill Layer.

Fill Layers are not a foreign concept to the Affinity suite, or to Designer specifically. It's just that you can't create one from scratch in a document in Designer because the different Affinity applications have different sets of tools available. But the file formats are compatible, and if you have something created in one of the applications, you can use it in the other Affinity applications even if you couldn't create it there.

The functions are partitioned to try to provide a manageable set of functions, and a managable UI for the users, without causing problems by including functions that are never or seldom needed in a particular application. (That's my understanding, anyway. Some users would probably suggest that there's also an aspect of revenue flow, given the low price of each application individually and the Affinity "buy once" model vs some other vendors' subscription models. Only Serif staff would know how much that plays into their decisions about which applications get which functions.)


-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.647 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.647 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.648 Beta.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/6/2019 at 1:32 AM, walt.farrell said:

You can also creat a document in Affinity Photo, add a Fill Layer, and open that document in Designer. It will have the Fill Layer.

Fill Layers are not a foreign concept to the Affinity suite, or to Designer specifically. It's just that you can't create one from scratch in a document in Designer because the different Affinity applications have different sets of tools available. But the file formats are compatible, and if you have something created in one of the applications, you can use it in the other Affinity applications even if you couldn't create it there.

The functions are partitioned to try to provide a manageable set of functions, and a managable UI for the users, without causing problems by including functions that are never or seldom needed in a particular application. (That's my understanding, anyway. Some users would probably suggest that there's also an aspect of revenue flow, given the low price of each application individually and the Affinity "buy once" model vs some other vendors' subscription models. Only Serif staff would know how much that plays into their decisions about which applications get which functions.)

Thank you for the explanation, Walt! But it's still weird to have a type of layer like Fill imported from Photoshop but at the same time without the possibility to create one yourself in Affinity Designer. Since Designer is mainly a vector creation tool, my suggestion would be to convert the Photoshop Fill layer to a vector rectangle the size of the canvas/artboard because it would make the most sense in my view.


Check out my awesome Windows 10 Themes!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/6/2019 at 12:17 AM, Cristian Dragos said:

...a fill layer it will get imported as a fill layer in Affinity Designer as well which is a borderless layer just like in Photoshop

New Pixellayer or Shift-Cmd-N then fill with a color or gradient, it's a borderless layer.


☛ Affinity Designer 1.7.3 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.7.3 ◆ OSX El Capitan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

New Pixellayer or Shift-Cmd-N then fill with a color or gradient, it's a borderless layer.

I've already tried that with either the Bucket Tool in the Pixel Persona or the Fill Tool in the Designer persona and yes, it fills the pixel layer but it's not borderless like the Fill Layer. It's a layer the size of all the further away artboards, technically the size of the canvas, which is pretty weird now that I mentioned it. It should be the size of the artboard where the pixel layer exists.


Check out my awesome Windows 10 Themes!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cristian Dragos said:

It should be the size of the artboard where the pixel layer exists.

But we can drag pixel layers onto other Artboards so I think it is good that they are the size of the whole area.


MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 10.14.5

Affinity Designer 1.8.3 | Affinity Photo 1.8.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.8.3 | Affinity Designer Beta 1.8.3.2 | Affinity Photo Beta 1.8.3.180 | Affinity Publisher Beta 1.8.3.627

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please note the Annual Company Closure section in the Terms of Use. These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.