Vince42

Space-invoked hand tool not working

The hand tool can be invoked by pressing H or by pressing and holding down the Space key.

If invoked in the latter fashion, the hand tool does not work.

(Infinity Designer 1.6.193, Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit)

It works for me  using Affinity Designer 1.6.2.97 (which should be effectively the same as you're using) on  Win 10.

You do need to keep the space key depressed while using the tool, as it's only a temporary switch, not a complete switch like the H key provides.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.145), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.1.404 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.1.404 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.1.399 Beta

In that case, I'm afraid I have no idea why it might not be working. Sorry. I hope you get it resolved.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.145), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.1.404 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.1.404 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.1.399 Beta

HI Vince42

I shall take it you have turned off any keyboard management software you might have too? This seems to be working fine here for me on all tools. have you adjusted any of the keyboard shortcuts in app ata all? starting the app with ctrl held down might fix this for you but it might be a different issue causing this

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Yes, I deactivated all tools (actually I only had AutoHotkey running and potentially SnagIt and AquaSnap, which might have had the potential zu interfere).

I did not change any shortcuts in the Affinity Designer itself. I started the application with Ctrl and reset all keyboard shortcuts and still got the same behaviour.

Is it theoretically possible that there is an issue with the document itself? That the hand tool is not working on a big plane with two dozen artboards?

Installation of an Affinity beta does not interfere with any existing production version you may have installed.

Note, though, that if you purchased your Affinity application via the Windows Store then you cannot (yet) make use of the Affinity beta versions. The betas work, today, only for users who bought directly from the Affinity website.

-- Walt

Just tested the most recent beta: the problem persists. 

Steps I did for reproduction: I create a new document, create a rectangle, zoom in, hold the space key - nothing moves. Also tried it with different tools and deselecting - nothing.

Shift key?

"I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK, I sleep all night, and I work all day..."

Amature camera user, Adobe avoider. Still missing: HLS improvements, Raw development with sidecars, Gradient list in gradient layer/tool. Do want: Liquefy as Layer.

1 hour ago, TEcHNOpls said:

Shift key?

yes, the shift key usually invokes the hand tool on the fly. AFAIR Affinity Photo works, but Affinity Designer does not.

There was a typo: I meant the "space key", not the "shift key"

The space key does this, the shift key is usually the modifier for a tool.

"I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK, I sleep all night, and I work all day..."

Amature camera user, Adobe avoider. Still missing: HLS improvements, Raw development with sidecars, Gradient list in gradient layer/tool. Do want: Liquefy as Layer.