You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Converting from Photoshop 6/Elements 14

I have used Photoshop and latterly Elements for some years, but bought Affinity Photo rather than getting a newer version of PSE and find that I am struggling with the change. Just getting frustrated TBH eg it took me too long to find out where the equivalent of the Photoshop white/black/grey correction selector tools were located!

I appreciate there are loads of videos, but is there anything which specifically addresses the move from Photoshop/Elements to Affinity? If so some URL pointers if possble please. Apols if this is a faq (couldn't find it if so)

Regards

Henry

Maybe give us an idea about your workflow, or used to do within Elements, everyone uses apps differently so knowing a bit about what you do will maybe help us focus on the tools you will use a lot?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• Staff

Hi @henryg and Welcome to the Forums,

As @firstdefence has suggested, if you could share your current workflow, i'm sure others who have also made the switch can post what works for them :) 

For now i'd suggest giving a few of the tutorials a go, just so you can get use to the UI of Affinity if nothing else

Hi Guys

I am am amateur editing photos taken on iPhones (currently 5S & 6S), and a reasonable Nikon point and shoot.

For simpler/general photos edits in PSE, my workflow is to add a levels layer (setting the mid/grey point and shadows and highlghts manually - then see if I prefer the auto result from PSE); transform for lens distortion; spot healing where necessary; high pass sharpen; and finally crop and save when happy. This is all for jpg images.

In Affinity it appears that I need to make white balance and levels adjustments separately (is that correct?); and can do it in either the Develop or Photo Personas. I would like to get to grips with the Develop Persona if it is functionally similar to Lightroom as it could be a big time saver; never owned or used Lightroom. Edits preferred, as far as possible, to be non-destructive.

What is your workflow?