You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Help: cannot open .dng files with affinity photo

hello,

Do I need a plugin to open dng files from my scans. Affinity photo seems only to open the thumbnail rather than the actual file.

I am running the latest version of affinity on mac OS High Sierra : 10.13.3.

I can open the file on photoshop without any issue.

I have attached one of my dng files.

winter_scene_07.dng

Hi, serge,

.dng files are in an Adobe proprietary format. For Mac systems, you will need to download the Adobe Digital Negative Converter and convert, or continue to use Adobe's Photoshop.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

7 minutes ago, gdenby said:

.dng files are in an Adobe proprietary format. For Mac systems, you will need to download the Adobe Digital Negative Converter and convert

Both Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer can open DNG files. You should only need to use the Adobe DNG Converter if your camera's raw files are not supported by either Serif's own raw engine or Apple Core Image to process the files (but you would be using it to convert to DNG rather than from DNG, of course).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

11 minutes ago, serge said:

can you guys open my file with your affinity photos then?

I'll tell you after I've finished downloading it! (I hadn't expected it to be nearly 160 MB.)

Edit: I'm only getting the thumbnail image here. From previous discussions, I think this may be because it's been processed through VueScan.

Edit 2: I can also confirm that it opens correctly in Photoshop Elements 13 (using ACR 8.6).

Alfred spacer.png

Just now, my d-load speed is just above 5M/minute. It'll be awhile.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

Huion WH1409 tablet

2 minutes ago, gdenby said:

Just now, my d-load speed is just above 5M/minute. It'll be awhile.

Do you really, really want to spend half an hour downloading this one, Greg?? :o

Alfred spacer.png

4 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Do you really, really want to spend half an hour downloading this one, Greg?? :o

Went out to put seeds in the bird feeder. will now start patching some holes in plaster. Should be ready to experiment when I'm done.

Huion WH1409 tablet

Just now, gdenby said:

Went out to put seeds in the bird feeder. will now start patching some holes in plaster. Should be ready to experiment when I'm done.

thumbup1.gif

Alfred spacer.png

ok, I contacted the vuescan support and here is what they tell me:

VueScan writes DNG files with three colors per pixel,
and some programs (like Affinity Photo) don't support
this, even though the Adobe spec for DNG requires this.

So basically, I am stuck with photoshop.

I can't find any system codec to install, tho' it appears a few years ago there was one, and core Mac services did support .dng. At this time, Preview & Pixelmator don't recognize the format on my El Capitan machine. Affinity only reads the finder preview. Noiseless from Macphun/Skylum does open it.  

Huion WH1409 tablet

27 minutes ago, serge said:

ok, I contacted the vuescan support and here is what they tell me:

So basically, I am stuck with photoshop.

That's more information than we've had. It might be helpful if you'd post it in the Feature Requests you to make sure it gets to the Affinity team, too.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

The Vuescan problem is a known issue, I believe.

Doesn't Vuescan also export 16-bit tiffs? I'm not at the computer I have Vuescan on and so cannot open it (and am too lazy to install on this computer or look on the web site). Alternatively, Fast Image Viewer can convert it I believe. 

Once in APhoto, you can use the Develop mode to adjust it.

Or, use a different RAW application altogether for viewing/exporting the DNG files to then do post-develop work in APhoto. (Which is mainly what I do.)

Nice scene, btw.

4 hours ago, gdenby said:

.dng files are in an Adobe proprietary format. 

Adobe hold the patent for it but it's an open format - free to use.  I've just had a VERY  quick look at the DNG spec and it looks like there's a backwards compatibility problem caused by an error in v1.1 - Vuescan's DNG output doesn't conform to the current standard (1.4).

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

I use VueScan and if I tell it to save as a tiff, it does so;  the tiff file is then automatically opened by Affinity with no problem. Try this and see!

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

I use Vuescan myself, and the DNG files it writes are correctly opened in Photoshop, PhotoLine, BlackMagic Fusion, RawTherapee, IrfanView, ... Krita attempts to open it, but results in a mess, and Affinity doesn't work, as stated here.

If the competition is able to open these DNG files, it would be nice if Affinity Photo would be able to do the same. Then again, seeing that Krita has issues, I agree the DNG files Vuescan writes might be slightly off-kilter.

12 hours ago, Medical Officer Bones said:

I use Vuescan myself, and the DNG files it writes are correctly opened in Photoshop, PhotoLine, BlackMagic Fusion, RawTherapee, IrfanView, ... Krita attempts to open it, but results in a mess, and Affinity doesn't work, as stated here.

If the competition is able to open these DNG files, it would be nice if Affinity Photo would be able to do the same. Then again, seeing that Krita has issues, I agree the DNG files Vuescan writes might be slightly off-kilter.

my thoughts exactly, affinity should be able to open them.